Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade

I just purchased a MAcbook Pro. Should I upgrade to Yosemite from Maverik ? Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 4:01 PM

3 replies

Mar 31, 2015 5:25 AM in response to sabre138

Make a bootable clone of your Mavericks system. If possible, download the Mavericks installer from the app store and save a copy in case you need it. You can use Diskmaker X to create a bootable Mavericks installer on a flash drive. Do the same with the Yosemite installer. When you download the OS installer apps, you will see that they launch when the download finishes. When the first screen comes up, QUIT the installer, rather than clicking on "Continue". Save the installer app at that point, to a location outside of your Applications folder. These installers very unhelpfully delete themselves after they finish their installations.

You can install Yosemite on an external drive to test drive it. This is the least problematic way tp proceed with an OS upgrade. If you like it, you can clone it onto your main system drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. If you have no external drive, get one: it is an excellent safety net to have a second bootable hard drive, as opposed to only having a drive dedicated to Time Machine.

I would keep both Mavericks and Yosemite.

Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.