Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean Install (for selling) Requires My Apple ID?? I wanted it CLEAN!

I erased the drive of a computer I am selling, and am now going to install a fresh copy of mountain lion. I am using a bootable USB someone made at the office. Everything is going smooth and I am able to install from the USB, but now it's asking me for my Apple ID to verify that I am deemed worthy of installing the OS. I I thought the point of erasing the drive before a sale was to clear out any traces of my ID and password history.... 😕

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 5:28 PM

You need to use the computer's original disks instead of that thumbdrive.

(125178)

19 replies

Apr 3, 2015 6:42 PM in response to elgraso

Are you certain your iMac shipped with those discs? About August 2011 is when Apple started shipping Macs with Lion already installed, and you would not have received them in the box. Your model may have shipped with either Snow Leopard (which would have had discs) or Lion (which would not).

You can find out easily enough. Boot OS X Internet Recovery:

• using three fingers press and hold the following keys: ⌘(command), option, and R.
  • With a fourth finger press the power button to turn on the Mac.
  • Keep the other three fingers where they are until you see the "spinning globe" icon.
  • This method forces the Mac to download its originally installed OS from Apple's servers, which will not require an Apple ID to install.

If you are still asked for your Apple ID, you will need to obtain a replacement System Install DVD from Apple.

FYI here are Apple's instructions for selling a Mac: What to do before selling or giving away your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 3, 2015 6:45 PM in response to John Galt

thanks John.

it got me up to the Lion install, and then popped up the same apple ID roadblock.

If I take it to Apple Genuis can they install Mountain for me?

if not, then Lion at least?

With Mavericks apple said it "doesnt believe people should have to pay for an OS"... but they sure are trying hard to make sure that I own a copy.

Apr 3, 2015 7:34 PM in response to elgraso

1. Phone Apple as described above and order them. It's likely that a physical Apple Store has them or can do this, but they basically won't be able to install a clean copy of 10.7 or above.

2. Even if the installation doesn't require an Apple ID, if a reinstallation requires connecting to Apple's servers, it will.

(125438)

Clean Install (for selling) Requires My Apple ID?? I wanted it CLEAN!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.