Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this malware?

Hello, fellow Apple users.

I have currently been receiving suspicious messages informing me that I may have my browser and/or computer infected with a virus. I may not be correct about this, but I have been informed that there are no viruses for Macs. Here are some pictures of the messages, which I cannot 'X-Out' of most (Forcing me to quit my browser):

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Please do note that all the numbers are different on these pictures, which makes me suspicious of potential phishing, or at least some type of scam.

I have also been having difficulties with my browser. My searches are always redirected to a search engine named 'Thesmartsearch'. Also, I am commonly redirected to a new tab, which gives me the messages shown above. Here is a picture of my Safari preferences, which clearly shows that my search engine is

Google:

User uploaded file

Here is another picture of my redirect to 'Thesmartsearch':User uploaded file

Lastly, I have another problem that more irritates me than anything. Random words like these will be bolded, colored and underlined, which will pop up a message like this upon hovering over the word:

User uploaded file

As you can see above, this is an add by Deal Top. In fact, all of the messages are ads by Deal Top. A family relative who runs a Windows device says that they have similar effects, but the messages warning about a virus are also 'Ads by Deal Top'.

Should I trust these messages (Which I haven't used yet), or could it be malware? Could it be a simple fix that doesn't involve malware at all? Malware or not, what action should I take to remove these annoyances that make Safari next to unusable? Any help is appreciated.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 6:07 PM

1. Click here and follow the instructions, or if there’s a type of adware not covered by them on the computer, these ones. If you're willing to use a tool to remove it(you don't need to, but may find it easier), you can instead run Adware Medic; this link is a direct download.

2. Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, close Safari, and then launch it with the Shift key held down. If that doesn't work, temporarily disconnect the computer from the Internet.

(125185)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2015 6:07 PM in response to Darth_

1. Click here and follow the instructions, or if there’s a type of adware not covered by them on the computer, these ones. If you're willing to use a tool to remove it(you don't need to, but may find it easier), you can instead run Adware Medic; this link is a direct download.

2. Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, close Safari, and then launch it with the Shift key held down. If that doesn't work, temporarily disconnect the computer from the Internet.

(125185)

Mar 30, 2015 6:12 PM in response to Niel

Thank you for your help! I did remove many different files and documents related to 'projectx', and 1 file related to 'v.framework'. which appears to be some adware on my computer. Sadly, despite the removal of these files, none of the effects have subsided. Do note that I have not emptied the trash containing the files, in fear that I might permanently remove a vital document accidentally. Should I empty it? Here is a picture of the apparent adware: User uploaded file

Is this malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.