Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop, OneDrive, Box files have disappeared from MacBook -- yet the folders remain! How do I find the file contents?

Recently I went to my OneDrive on my 2014 MacBook Pro to get some docs, and ALL the folders were empty. (OneDrive is formerly SkyDrive.) I also use BOX. I checked the trash bins on my Mac and my OneDrive. Nothing. Then I realized that ALL my folders were empty -- including those on my desktop and in BOX. ALL my work is gone. This is a big deal...and unfortunately, I did not use Time Machine.

The whole idea of the external drive was to protect these docs. They sync with the computer -- if the computer docs disappear, so do the contents on the external drives. But regardless, anything that was IN A FOLDER is gone -- xls, PDFs, docs, etc. iTunes and pics are okay.

About a week or so before this I downloaded Picasa. Not sure if this may have had an affect on my computer.

I contacted Microsoft and they are useless. I went to the Genius bar, and they never heard of such a thing. They have moved it up but haven't heard anything from Apple. This is something that happened due to the MacBook operating system, not a virus. I've seen other similar posts where files "just disappear" but not to this extent.

I really need some help or a forensic person to figure this out. It is quite problematic. I appreciate you help mucho....

THANKS!!!!

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 5:08 PM

2 replies

May 14, 2017 3:49 PM in response to PatS10706

Same thing happened to me when I started using One Drive on my work PC which I use at home. I then found the sync was eating up data on my internet plan at home (was 84GB data). So deleted one drive folder from second PC but one drive interprets this as deleting all files. Only place to salvage is in recycle bin in your ONLINE one drive account. Painful as there went all my data dowloading it all all over again!.

Hope this helps.

Desktop, OneDrive, Box files have disappeared from MacBook -- yet the folders remain! How do I find the file contents?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.