Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacFUSE - is this native to Yosemite?

I have a system preference named MacFUSE.

I checked wikipedia and it seems to be some filing system preference but I am wondering if it is part of Yosemite or has it been installed by an Application not part of Yosemite.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), lives with iPad, eMate, PowerBooks 540c, 160 and a Newton 2000

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 5:38 PM

9 replies

Mar 30, 2015 8:50 PM in response to Michael Vallance

It's incompatible with Yosemite and you should remove it.

Any third-party software that doesn't install by drag-and-drop into the Applications folder, and uninstall by drag-and-drop to the Trash, is a system modification.

Whenever you remove system modifications, they must be removed completely, and the only way to do that is to use the uninstallation tool, if any, provided by the developers, or to follow their instructions. If the software has been incompletely removed, you may have to re-download or even reinstall it in order to finish the job.

I never install system modifications myself, and except as stated in this comment, I don't know how to uninstall them. You'll have to do your own research to find that information.

Here are some general guidelines to get you started. Suppose you want to remove something called “BrickMyMac” (a hypothetical example.) First, consult the product's Help menu, if there is one, for instructions. Finding none there, look on the developer's website, say www.brickmymac.com. (That may not be the actual name of the site; if necessary, search the Web for the product name.) If you don’t find anything on the website or in your search, contact the developer. While you're waiting for a response, download BrickMyMac.dmg and open it. There may be an application in there such as “Uninstall BrickMyMac.” If not, open “BrickMyMac.pkg” and look for an Uninstall button. The uninstaller might also be accessed by clicking the Customize button, if there is one.

Back up all data before making any changes.

You will generally have to restart the computer in order to complete an uninstallation. Until you do that, there may be no effect, or unpredictable effects.

If you can’t remove software in any other way, you’ll have to erase and install OS X. Never install any third-party software unless you're sure you know how to uninstall it; otherwise you may create problems that are very hard to solve.

Trying to remove complex system modifications by hunting for files by name often will not work and may make the problem worse. The same goes for "utilities" such as "AppCleaner" and the like that purport to remove software.

Mar 31, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Michael Vallance

This is all assuming you installed NTFS-3G. As Linc noted, it's not compatible with Yosemite. It hasn't really been updated since 2012. Translation - I wouldn't trust writing my data to an NTFS drive with NTFS-3G under Lion or later.

NTFS-3G used to be a free, open source NTFS driver for OS X. You can still download it, but it isn't intended for anything above Snow Leopard. What Tuxera did instead was develop an entirely new NTFS package; Tuxera NTFS for Mac. It's a fully 64 bit NTFS driver that does not require the installation of MacFUSE. The cost is $31. Though I'm not sure why a person would buy that when Paragon NTFS for Mac is $20.

NTFS-3G is just one of several apps that use MacFUSE to operate. Some other third party software your office uses may have installed it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.