Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari grayed out

Hello,

I just updated to Yosemite a few weeks ago, I'm on version 10.10.2. I went to clear my history and empty my cache in Safari and I noticed my preferences were shaded out gray and it won't allow me to do anything. About Safari and Quit Safari are also grayed out so I can't select them. Do I have a virus? Or does anyone know how I can fix this? If you could provide detailed directions that would be great, I'm a fairly basic Mac user! I really appreciate any help.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 6:03 PM

2 replies

Mar 30, 2015 6:48 PM in response to Caribou160

Restart your Mac. If they remain greyed out after restarting your Mac, determine how it works in "Safe Mode". See below.

• Safe Mode or "Safe Boot" is a troubleshooting mode that bypasses all third party system extensions and loads only required system components. Read about it: Starting up in Safe Mode
  • You must disable FileVault before you can start your Mac in Safe Mode.
  • Starting your Mac in Safe Mode will take longer than usual, graphics will not render smoothly, audio is disabled on some Macs, and some programs (iTunes for example) may not work at all.
  • Merely starting your Mac in Safe Mode is not intended to resolve the problem, it's to observe its performance without certain additional components.
  • To end Safe Mode restart your Mac normally. Shutdown will take longer as well.

Safari grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.