Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TV never connects to Netflix; hangs on "Accessing Netflix" message.

My TV (3rd Generation, software version 7.1) started doing this about a month ago. It's the same cycle every time: Go to Netflix, device hangs on the "Accessing Netflix" progress loop and eventually times out and says "Netflix is currently unavailable. Try again later." The weird thing about this is that every single other streaming service I have (HBOGO, Showtime Anytime, PBS, FXNOW, CNN go, etc.) all work with no issue whatsoever. I can also watch Netflix on both of my computers (24" iMac Early 2008 and 13" MacBook Air 2013) so I don't think the issue is on Netflix's end.

After some Google-fu, I found this thread here which suggested that the best fix was to restore the device to its factory settings and, despite my reluctance to do this, I went ahead and did it anyway. The device downloaded the latest update, set itself to default settings and started everything from scratch but still had the same problem. I set all my streaming services back onto the device and tested each one without so much as a hiccup, but Netflix is the only one that still doesn't even start completely, let alone actually stream anything. Is there anything that I'm doing wrong? I love watching Netflix on my living room TV and it's a shame that, if it weren't for the rest of my streaming services, this box would essentially be a lightweight brick in my living room. Thank you all in advance for your time.

Apple TV (3rd generation), Other OS

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 8:32 PM

3 replies

Apr 2, 2015 12:46 PM in response to Encephalon

Howdy Encephalon,

It sounds like you have restored the Apple TV using the menu on the device itself but you are still unable to access Netflix. If you have restarted your router already, I would next reach out to Netflix technical support with the following info:

Contact Apple TV content providers

Netflix

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Apr 2, 2015 12:54 PM in response to sterling r

That was actually the first thing I tried and it still didn't solve the problem. As I stated above, I'm able to watch Netflix on both of my computers and, as of yesterday, I just switched over to my PS3 to watch Netflix and, to no surprise, I was able to connect to Netflix perfectly. The only device that has this issue is my Apple TV, which leads me to believe that an update to the Netflix application broke it entirely on my end. As I also stated above, I can still watch all my other streaming services on it, so it's not a total brick, but I really enjoyed having all my streaming services consolidated into one device. Hopefully this gets fixed in the future.

TV never connects to Netflix; hangs on "Accessing Netflix" message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.