Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No easy way to capture my music library from the cloud?

I bought a new Windows laptop, running 8.1. Downloaded the current Itunes, 12..1.1. I opened it and expected to find my entire library and playlists. Nope, nothing. I bought a few more songs, they loaded fine, to my pc. Clicked around a bit more, and my library of purchased tunes was listed, but in the cloud only. Yes, I suppose I could take the labor-intensive time to click each title, or use alt+shift to highlight the entire list of nearly 200 titles --would that work?--to download them all, but are the Apple code writers telling me they elected not to include a lone-click, "download all" button??

According to one youtube instruction, there is such a button, bottom-right of the screen. Nope, not on mine.

Second comment/irritation: I fully expect now that when the pc is synced to the Cloud, my playlists will not be. Yes? No?

Hmm, I wonder if Amazon music has these issues...

see text

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 1:31 AM

Copy your library from your old computer to the new one.

If you no longer have access to the old computer see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

If you have to redownload your past purchases go to iTunes Store > Music > Quick Links > Purchased > Not in My Library > Download All (this last link should be in the lower right corner of the screen).

For the future see Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 1:31 AM in response to JLaugesen

Copy your library from your old computer to the new one.

If you no longer have access to the old computer see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

If you have to redownload your past purchases go to iTunes Store > Music > Quick Links > Purchased > Not in My Library > Download All (this last link should be in the lower right corner of the screen).

tt2

Mar 31, 2015 7:42 PM in response to turingtest2

I would sincerely like to say your reply was helpful. Initially, it was. I found the "purchased" link, clicked it and then "download all". Downloads started, except for one song that it said could not be downloaded. I forget the instructions on what it said to do about that one, but I let the pc run as it appeared to continue downloading. I left it to run, came back later and found an error window message, saying that Itunes had "stopped working... Windows will close this program and notify you if a solution is available". HUH? "IF" a program is available?? [And apparently Apple doesn't have such a program, as I have not be notified.] The screen was frozen but the mouse worked, only the "Close Program" button worked. Closed it, re-started. Opened Itunes, which opened to the EULA (??), which I accepted, then clicked My Music which showed one screen of apparently downloaded songs. But only the one screen which contained only a portion of my library. "Page down" did not work, could not scroll to any more pages. I clicked Itunes Store/purchased which opened a mostly blank page with the gray text message, "You do not have any purchased music"...! The page did not change when I clicked from "All" to "Not In My Library".

I clicked "Preferences" and it does show my library name, "Laugesen Library". Again clicked My Music and again just the one page, apparently the same songs.

Note: At one point, after I re-opened the stopped program and the screen showed my library in the Cloud, and none of the songs downloaded, I tested and did download one song. That song was included subsequently in the one-page list.

I then opened your advice page, "Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash". I looked for a "Previous Itunes Library" folder. Closest was "Itunes Library". a 23.3kb file (with the red Itunes logo) that when opened went to the Itunes page stating I did not have any purchased music. The only other Itunes library file was"Itunes Music Library", an XML file, which when opened lists dates, letters, etc.

Judging from the lack of any songs in the Library file, I take it your advice page won't help me in this situation.

In the same directory as those 2 folders was another folder, "Itunes Media", which included a folder "Downloads" which I found contained 4 random songs I had purchased, and a folder "Music" that looked to contain the names of the artists of the songs shown on that one-page list previously. Another folder, "Podcasts" surprisingly seemed complete, of about 100 podcasts.

All other Itunes files and folders, including the application and "Itunes Helper" files, were listed in the "Itunes" folder in C/programs, except for a file "Mozilla plug-ins" (I use Firefox browser) and "ITdetector.ocx", contained in another "Itunes" folder, both under C/Program Files (x86).

This leaves me more than a bit frustrated and disappointed with Apple.

The nearest Apple store is some 180 miles from my location. I shouldn't have to pay Apple for them to fix their faulty software, IMHO, assuming I could contact them directly on line or by telephone.

Do you have any further advice?

Apr 1, 2015 2:24 AM in response to JLaugesen

The empty/corrupt library advice only becomes useful after you have upgraded iTunes at least once on that particular computer, or if you had migrated your library from a previous computer complete with its archive of older database files. Your library is comprised of the data stored in ..Music\iTunes. The software components in the various program files folders can be ignored unless one is troubleshooting an installation problem. The key file is called iTunes LIbrary.itl which is a database of the content of the library. The file iTunes Music Library.xml is a subset of this data provided for third party software to be able to interrogate the library even when iTunes isn't running..

Since you are starting from scratch anyway I suggest you delete the following from inside ..Music\iTunes

• Album Artwork (folder)
  • iTunes Library.itl
  • iTunes Library Extras.itdb
  • iTunes Library Genius.itdb
  • iTunes Music Library.xml

and also from ..\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media

Downloads (folder, if present)

When you start iTunes it will build you a new empty library and ask to scan for media. Let it do so and it will capture any media that has already been successfully downloaded. You can then start the process of downloading your past purchases again. Since it choked on fetching everything in one go it might pay to break the task down this time rather than use the download all button. Downloading everything by a given artist should be a couple of clicks. When downloading there is small activity icon near the top right of the iTunes window, Click on this to reveal a list of the items that are downloading. Personally I find it may help to untick the box that says Allow simultaneous downloads.

It will have found your podcast subscriptions if you have previously left enabled the option to Sync podcast subscriptions and settings under Edit > Preferences > Devices.

tt2

Apr 1, 2015 3:45 PM in response to turingtest2

Followed your instructions, and glad to report some success. Not entirely, however... I started by downloading 3 or 4 songs at a time, clicking in quick succession. Then I increased to 7, then 10. However, maybe 10 is the limit, or the size of the files, because when I tried 11, I got the same error as before, "Itunes has stopped working...."

I am not a techie or engineer, but I cannot fathom how Apple's designers produced such irritatingly cumbersome, malfunctioning software. (I hope they monitor this forum!)

Soldiering on, I re-started Itunes, My Music listed my tunes, several of which evidently had been successfully downloaded in the earlier batches. I stayed on that page and simply resumed the same download procedure, clicking the cloud icons (fewer than 10, however).

At this rate, I may actually get my music back in my device after only what, six or seven more "batches". I will let you know.

Apr 2, 2015 12:19 PM in response to JLaugesen

Latest: Slowly, batch by batch, my songs have now loaded to My Music library--I think. That is, "purchased" now shows "250 items". Curiously, "Not in My Library" shows "You do not have any purchased music". Songs/albums are only listed under "All".

In comparison, my Itunes on my Ipad does list songs in both categories, but not the same exact list. (For that matter, the library shows 392 songs. Some of the variance is accounted for by a few non-Itunes purchased tunes in the Ipad library, but not all.)

You may be able to explain why my libary now contains a U2 album that I did NOT purchase? I dimly recall reading something a while ago that Bono donated some music, perhaps this ""Songs of Innocence" album, to everyone, regardless of whether or not it was requested?

Lastly, I find it odd and annoying that the Ipad Itunes library is not sorted alphabetically, but is random, and I see no way to properly sort the files.

And of course, it is further annoying that although I managed after a slow process to recover my library (I think), there was no way to recover my playlists.

I am supposing I might try to sync my Ipad with my pc? And then manually add to the playlists whatever additional songs as desired. hop

Thanks for your help. Again, I hope that the Apple in-house techs are reading this!

Apr 2, 2015 3:44 PM in response to JLaugesen

Yes, Songs of Innocence was added to everyone's purchased history for free. See https://itunes.com/soi-remove to get rid of the U2 album if you don't want it.

See Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device to recover the non-iTunes purchases. Scroll down to the end for recovery tools. I recommend MediaMonkey. There are also two scripts of mine that can recover ratings and playlists.

Once you have recovered all of the content you can go through the other steps of backing up the device and restoring it so that it becomes properly paired with your new library.

tt2

No easy way to capture my music library from the cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.