Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 8.0.4 not working on 10.10.2

Hi,

Multiple problems with Safari "8.0.4", running 10.10.2 on mid-2010 MacBook Pro:

1. Preferences pane does not open at all.

2. "About Safari" displays "Version 7.0.6 (9537.78.2)". Going to Safari in Applications and selecting "Get Info" displays version 8.0.4.

I tried resetting the PRAM and reinstalling Yosemite via online download (so as to keep files and settings). Still no Preferences pane display, and version number is still incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I need to change Security settings in the Preferences but cannot even get that window to open.

Thanks,

DW

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 8:24 AM

Search "This Mac" in the Finder for "Safari". You may find one or more outdated copies that you made somewhere other than the top level of the Applications folder. Delete all such copies. Never move or copy built-in applications.

10 replies

Mar 31, 2015 8:25 AM in response to dtwrub

So you double-click Safari in the Applications folder, and then open the About box, and it shows the wrong version number? If that's really true, see below.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Mar 31, 2015 6:01 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc - thanks. I already tried that and it didn't work. One thing I did realize when I went back and looked at the Applications folder, is that I have my browsers in a sub-folder. I will try moving them back into the main Applications folder. (I still only have one copy of Safari.)

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Mar 31, 2015 8:22 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc. I have my browsers in a subfolder of the Applications folder, and I have that folder dragged into the Dock so I can access all of them easily without having separate icons in my (already cluttered) Dock. I thought that since it was still under Applications, it wouldn't matter (i.e. Utilities). I will move it back and then run the update again. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot, I really appreciate it.

Safari 8.0.4 not working on 10.10.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.