Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I move clips from one library to another? Clips are still in original drive and not in new drive.

I am using iMovie 10.0.7 on a 1-week old iMac 27" running Yosemite 10.10.2. I migrated from iMovie 9 on a 2008 iMac running Snow Leopard and updated the libraries and events, etc.

I have two external drives connected via USB. I want to move / consolidate the library and clips from one of the external drives to the new iMac's 3TB fusion drive. This is to make room on the external drive to run Time Machine backups.

Apple's instructions on managing libraries and moving/copying clips/events tell me to drag to move between libraries and to Option-drag to copy. However, simply dragging only copies. I find that if I Command-drag the events/clips, I can "move" them. But when I look outside iMovie in the Mac OS X Finder, the event folders and clip files themselves are still sitting in the original drive.

I'm very perplexed as to how to really move the clips and event structure. Should I manually copy the clips and event folder structure outside of iMovie? I worry I will mess up iMovie's internal record keeping and folder structure information.

Thanks in advance.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 7:54 PM

There are no replies.

How can I move clips from one library to another? Clips are still in original drive and not in new drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.