Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One Apple ID, two phones, diff amts of storage (only ONE user)

Sorry for getting shout-y, but all the 2 device/1 account questions I'm reading involve how to manage/share/hide between two users and that isn't my issue.

I have an iPhone 4. I recently got an iPhone 5. The 4 has 32g of space, the 5 only 16. I'm an app junkie. I don't use iCloud (and would prefer not to if possible), don't use photostream (at the moment). I always sync by cable, directly to my computer.

I couldn't pass up the 5 since I got it for a great price, but the lack of storage is an issue for me until I get my storage/charging case in a few months. My plan is to use the 5 as my "phone" and keep on it the apps I use most often. The 4 will have everything I use, including the memory-hoarding games and podcasts and music. Plus as I come across more apps/games I can dl them to the 4, try them out, and then if I decide to keep them, load them onto the 5. My IP/SIM is going to be transferred to the 5, the 4 will be wifi-only.

I just synced the 4 and updated/backed it up. I am currently syncing the 5 to the same Apple ID on the same computer/iTunes account. I have already gotten the warning that there is not enough room to install all the apps, which I expected. My 4 is 1 G short of being full.

These are my questions:

- will I be able to get my iMessages on both? (I assume yes to the 4, when in wifi)

- if I was to turn on photostream, is there some way to be able to have pics/videos I take easily transferred between the two phones? Since one has more storage, if I could send stuff to the 4 until I get a chance to sync/backup, then delete it from the 5 to save space, that would be cool. (Also handy if I need a pic on the other unit which isn't with me).

- what happens when I sync? Besides the two phones having different content, one has half the memory of the other. I'm worried that each time I sync it will overwrite with the other phone's content, etc.

For that last one- I have debated transferring my Apple ID to the 5, and once everything is set up properly, creating a new Apple ID for the 4, and then putting all my **** on there. That way I can sync each one without cross-contaminating each backup. But I really like the idea of being able to go into the app store and just pulling in whichever apps I already bought on whichever phone without having to log in/out.

Which is the better way to do this?

iPhone 4, iOS 8.2, also an iPhone 5, latest iOS

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 8:14 PM

1 reply

Mar 30, 2015 8:20 PM in response to jeloca

Also, I'd prefer to keep the same ID on both so I will keep access to my calendar/contacts/etc on both devices. Would I be able to share reminders and voice memos and the like as well? And how often would they update each other? If I edit a contact on the 5, and the 4 is in wifi, assuming they're both on my same ID, will the contact update on the 4?

One Apple ID, two phones, diff amts of storage (only ONE user)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.