Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot uninstall virus protection-- Invisible files?

My early 2008 MacBook Pro (10.6.8) has been running slow so I wanted to do a full virus scan. I see too many beach balls, scrolling pauses, and briefly my mouse buttons were misbehaving. It has 53 GB free on a */- 250 GB HD. Initially I had partitioned it, but ran out of space so I removed the second partition and now have just one big one.

I did a search for Sophos Antivirus, which has been on this machine since 2008 when I was staff/student. The search produced folders and files and then the search hung, so I quit it and restarted the machine, which generally is on all the time. I probably restart once a week to get rid of temporary files.

After this last restart, EVERY reference to Sophos has disappeared. No installer, no uninstaller, no virus definitions. I tried to run the Sophos home edition installer and it says there is antivirus software on the HD. I followed their directions, attempting to remove first Sophos 8 and then Sophos 9, and both return the message that there is no Sophos installed. But when I try to install the home edition, it says there already is virus protection installed. I had installed Clam, ran it with no errors or indication of a problem yesterday. Clam says to trash it in order to delete it, so I did. I haven't used any other antivirus besides Sophos and the more recent Clam. If there is virus protection, it must be invisible to me.

Since this MacBook is so old, I can't get help from Apple, and the Sophos directions indicate that I should download and run the uninstallers. So I'm stuck with a slow HD with no virus or malware protection. Disk Utility and TechTool (both run from the HD) indicate no problems.

The idea that the institutional version of the software uninstalled "by itself" baffles Sophos tech support as well as me.

Anybody have a directional idea? Thanks for considering this strange issue.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Adobe Flash Player problems

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 8:37 PM

14 replies

Mar 30, 2015 10:29 PM in response to r rose

r rose wrote:

I had installed Clam, ran it with no errors or indication of a problem yesterday. Clam says to trash it in order to delete it, so I did.

That may not be correct, depending on where you got it from.

ClamXav from the App Store more self contained, so removing the app in LaunchPad is supposed to get rid of almost everything, but check your user library (hold the <Option>-key down and select "Library" from the Finder's Go menu) to see if there is a ClamXav folder there to trash. There could also be preference files and LaunchAgents for scheduled updates or scans, if you used those.

ClamXav from a web site requires the running of the ClamAV Engine REMOVER which is included on the ClamXav_2.x.x.dmg file you originally downloaded. There will probably be one or two preference files and if you ran Sentry in the background there will be an entry in System Preference->Users & Groups->Login Items which can be removed with the minus "-" button at the bottom.

All that being said, I have never had a problem installing Sophos Home Edition with both the App Store and Web versions of ClamXav already installed, so either this is something new or ClamXav isn't the problem.

Mar 30, 2015 11:47 PM in response to MadMacs0

Thanks, MadMacs0. I used the various installers (Clam's and Sophos') to uninstall everything and then manually sorted through application, utility, library and preference files to delete anything else I could find. I also deleted the Sophos keychain. Finally, I deleted the removal apps and emptied the trash. Sophos home, downloaded from Sophos, still won't install because it still says I have other antivirus software, alas.

Mar 31, 2015 12:30 AM in response to r rose

I have no idea what Sophos checks for and I suspect only their tech support could tell you.

In the meanwhile, there really isn't any new malware that would be slowing your computer down these days, and XProtect is still being updated for Snow Leopard to catch it. Adware, on the other hand, is much more prevalent than ever and will not only slow your browsing, but redirect you to other sites, change your home page and search engine, and most A-V software will not find or remove adware. Apple has a document covering some of it at Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac and TheSafeMac's AdwareRemovalGuide lists all currently know adware. Unfortunately, the AdwareMedic removal app won't run in Snow Leopard, or I'd be recommending that.

If you don't think it's adware, then perhaps running EtreCheck and posting the results would allow someone to see if you have any problem software slowing you down.

Mar 31, 2015 6:49 AM in response to r rose

ClamXav and Sophos should be able to co-exist without a problem, unless something has changed recently. I doubt that ClamXav is the problem.

Sophos is probably detecting the presence of some other anti-virus software that is installed... ie, not Sophos and not ClamXav, something else. What that is I can't begin to guess, but it's probably pretty old (most anti-virus doesn't run on 10.6.8 anymore) and maybe even partially or mostly removed at this point.

I don't recall whether it runs on 10.6.8 or not, but you could try running EtreCheck:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

If it works on your system, post a copy of the report it generates here and we can give you a better idea of what might be causing the problem.

Mar 31, 2015 9:42 AM in response to thomas_r.

I ran the report but don't see the word "virus" in anything. I could uninstall VMWare since I've removed the Windows partition. The Samsung links are for my tablet. Perhaps something leaps out at you patient folks? Thanks for pursuing this with me.

Problem description:

looking for leftover antivirus software components so that I can do a clean install.

EtreCheck version: 2.1.8 (121)

Report generated March 31, 2015 9:26:43 AM PDT

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2GHz) (Verified)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro3,1

1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

2 GB RAM

BANK 0/DIMM0

1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM1

1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery Health: Normal - Cycle count 5

Video Information:

GeForce 8600M GT - VRAM: 256 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

spdisplays_display_connector

System Software:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) - Time since boot: 11:27:59

Disk Information:

FUJITSU MHW2160BHPL disk0 : (149.05 GB)

- (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

I'm a Mac (disk0s2) / : 159.70 GB (56.21 GB free)

USB Information:

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Apple Computer Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Logitech USB Receiver

Kernel Extensions:

/Applications/Kies.app

[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungACMControl (1.2.58 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungACMData (1.2.58 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite (1.2.58 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungMTP (1.2.58 - SDK 10.5) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungSerial (1.2.58 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

/Applications/VMware Fusion.app

[loaded] com.vmware.kext.vmci (2.0.8) [Click for support]

[loaded] com.vmware.kext.vmioplug (2.0.8) [Click for support]

[loaded] com.vmware.kext.vmnet (2.0.8) [Click for support]

[loaded] com.vmware.kext.vmx86 (2.0.8) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions

[loaded] com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (3.4.0 - SDK 10.0) [Click for support]

[loaded] com.Logitech.Unifying.HID Driver (1.2.0 - SDK 10.0) [Click for support]

Problem System Launch Daemons:

[not loaded] org.samba.winbindd.plist [Click for support]

Launch Agents:

[running] com.Affinegy.InstaLANa.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.amazon.sendtokindle.launcher.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.coupons.coupond.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.Logitech.Control Center.Daemon.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

[unknown] com.Affinegy.InstaLANd.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.daemon.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.vmware.launchd.vmware.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.facebook.videochat.[redacted].plist [Click for support]

User Login Items:

uHD-Agent UNKNOWN (missing value)

GrowlMenu UNKNOWN (missing value)

Android File Transfer Agent Application (/Users/[redacted]/Library/Application Support/Google/Android File Transfer/Android File Transfer Agent.app)

Dropbox Application (/Applications/Dropbox.app)

TWC-WiFi Menu Application (/Applications/TWC/TWC-WiFi.app/Contents/Resources/TWC-WiFi Menu.app)

KiesAgent Application Hidden (/Applications/Kies.app/Contents/MacOS/KiesAgent.app)

KiesViaWiFiAgent Application Hidden (/Applications/Kies.app/Contents/MacOS/KiesViaWiFiAgent.app)

fuspredownloader Application Hidden (/Users/[redacted]/Library/Application Support/.FUS/fuspredownloader.app)

Internet Plug-ins:

Unity Web Player: Version: UnityPlayer version 4.3.1f1 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.4.4.2 [Click for support]

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.30514.0 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 17.0.0.134 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Flash Player: Version: 17.0.0.134 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.6.6

AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin: Version: AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin 1.0.16 [Click for support]

SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.4.8 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 9.5.5 [Click for support]

CouponPrinter-FireFox_v2: Version: 5.0.3 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Myriad Music Plugin: Version: 5.6.2j [Click for support]

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 13.9.8 - SDK 10.6 Check version

User internet Plug-ins:

BlueStacks Install Detector: Version: Unknown

Move_Media_Player: Version: npmnqmp 071303000006 [Click for support]

WebEx64: Version: 1.0 - SDK 10.5 [Click for support]

Safari Extensions:

Nielsen NetSight

Audio Plug-ins:

iSightAudio: Version: 7.6.6

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flash Player [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV [Click for support]

Logitech Control Center [Click for support]

MacFUSE [Click for support]

Time Machine:

Time Machine information requires OS X 10.7 "Lion" or later.

Top Processes by CPU:

33% Google Chrome

13% Google Chrome Helper NP

3% WindowServer

1% Dropbox

0% mds

Top Processes by Memory:

170 MB Google Chrome

68 MB Google Chrome Helper

64 MB Dropbox

58 MB mds

49 MB Finder

Virtual Memory Information:

61 MB Free RAM

1.26 GB Active RAM

596 MB Inactive RAM

228 MB Wired RAM

1.05 GB Page-ins

48 MB Page-outs

Diagnostics Information:

Mar 31, 2015, 01:57:21 AM /Users/[redacted]/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Snood_2015-03-31-015721_[redac ted].crash

Mar 30, 2015, 08:01:25 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/TWC-WiFi Daemon_2015-03-30-200125_[redacted].crash

Mar 30, 2015, 08:01:25 PM /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/TWC-WiFi Daemon_2015-03-30-200125_[redacted].crash

Mar 30, 2015, 09:56:47 PM Self test - passed

Mar 31, 2015 10:39 AM in response to r rose

Against all common wisdom, I re-ran Sophos Removal Tools for v.8 and v.9 again this morning. This time, for no good reason I can think of, v.9 found something to remove. I am now able and just did install the Sophos Home version.

I'm still hopeful something will show up in the diagnostic report to account for the slowing. I'll let you know if it actually is a virus issue.

Thank you for hanging in....

R.

Mar 31, 2015 5:49 PM in response to r rose

r rose wrote:

The Sophos Home Edition scan turned up no virus, so my slow MacBook is still mysterious.

Not so mysterious... a virus was never going to be the answer, if the question was why your machine is slow. That's easy to answer. It's a very old computer - 8 years old - with only 2 GB of RAM and it's overloaded with all kinds of third-party software. Sophos would have been a contributor to that (or will be, if you have reinstalled it). Many of the other things you've got installed - including VMWare - need to go.

Honestly, you should probably consider replacing this machine at some point soon... it's stretched to its limits right now, and that will only get worse as time goes on.

Mar 31, 2015 6:13 PM in response to thomas_r.

Not so mysterious... a virus was never going to be the answer, if the question was why your machine is slow. That's easy to answer. It's a very old computer - 8 years old - with only 2 GB of RAM and it's overloaded with all kinds of third-party software. Sophos would have been a contributor to that (or will be, if you have reinstalled it). Many of the other things you've got installed - including VMWare - need to go.

Honestly, you should probably consider replacing this machine at some point soon... it's stretched to its limits right now, and that will only get worse as time goes on.

I had other odd behavior, like the mouse buttons reversing and the uninstallation of the original Sophos with no help from me.

While it's hard to think of 7 years as "old," the dearth of RAM certainly helps nothing. I'm dithering between a 13" and a 15" MacBook Pro and will buy next month. I ruled out the Air because of HD size limitations. I still own an iMac, plan to play with Linux on it at some point.

Apr 1, 2015 8:51 AM in response to r rose

r rose wrote:

I'm dithering between a 13" and a 15" MacBook Pro and will buy next month.

The speed jump you'll take will blow you away. The new machines are blazingly fast. Just be cautious about importing from such an old system... you don't want to import any of your apps, and should reinstall everything from scratch rather than trying to migrate from the old system. Some of your apps may not be compatible with the latest system, so be prepared... do your homework and replace any that won't work in Yosemite.

My personal preference if I were migrating from such an old Mac to a brand new one would be to copy all the data files by hand, and reconfigure all settings manually, rather than using Migration Assistant. That would give the cleanest possible new system. But you should be able to use Migration Assistant as well, if you're careful not to migrate apps.

Apr 1, 2015 8:59 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks again. I had no intention of migrating anything but appreciate the reminder.

I hope to use the older laptop to digitize tapes and CDs, since the new ones have no aux in port.

My cable company (TimeWarner) isn't cooperative about connectivity; I can either buy wifi from them monthly or buy an adaptor for Ethernet/Thunderbolt. Since the adaptor will equal the monthly fee after 5-6 months, that seems to be the way to go. I have an N router to stream to the TV. Someday I'll upgrade that too, but I just got a monthly rate I can live with for 10 more months so don't want to make changes in case the Comcast sale goes through.

Again, thanks for your wisdom and support.

Apr 1, 2015 9:43 AM in response to r rose

r rose wrote:

I hope to use the older laptop to digitize tapes and CDs, since the new ones have no aux in port.

Yeah, if you can trim back on the software that's installed (or even just do a clean system reinstall) and get it working decently again, you can still use it for some tasks, such as that. I've got a 10-year-old Mac that I've given to my wife's business, and it has been dropped, dented and abused, yet still works. It just won't do any of the things that I want to do with it anymore... otherwise, it's still a great machine.

My cable company (TimeWarner) isn't cooperative about connectivity; I can either buy wifi from them monthly or buy an adaptor for Ethernet/Thunderbolt. Since the adaptor will equal the monthly fee after 5-6 months, that seems to be the way to go. I have an N router to stream to the TV.

I've got Time Warner as well, but you don't have to rent wifi hardware from them. You can buy your own wireless router, connect it to the cable modem with an Ethernet cable and set up your own wifi network. Sounds like you may already have such a router for streaming to the TV... the same one should work for any computers, although older machines won't recognize newer wifi network types (like N). I'm not sure what the wifi capabilities on your old Mac are.

Apr 1, 2015 10:03 AM in response to thomas_r.

The Arris cable modem is the only one offered here by TW. It is wifi capable but for an extra fee. My router is a Lynksis N. I'm going out of town shortly so all this brain work needs to be postponed for a few weeks. Since the computer is a hefty chunk of change, I'm not going to rush into many related devices right away. I promise to build my new system deliberately and with consideration for reliability.

Again, your counsel is greatly appreciated.

R.

Cannot uninstall virus protection-- Invisible files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.