Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble backing up ipad - getting apps from other ipad

I am backing up my ipad and my daughter's ipad (no family sharing set up when this happened) and she has her own apple id. Both ipads backed up to the same itunes account.

I back up her ipad and it automatically downloads apps from the itunes which are on my ipad. How do I stop this happening. Drives me nuts as I then have to manually delete these apps and she has to re-organise everything.

The same thing happens on my ipad.

What can I do?

Thanks,
Rachel

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 10:21 PM

5 replies

Mar 30, 2015 10:29 PM in response to ohgeeohmy

Go into iTunes and click on the iTunes menu option at the top, then on Preferences>Devices. Make sure that the box at the bottom that says "Prevent iPods, iPhones, iPads from syncing automatically" is checked.

You are describing an automatic sync when backing up your devices. Having that box checked will prevent a sync from taking place unless you initiate it. When you do go to sync, once the device is hooked up and selectable, go to each of the options in the sidebar, and make sure that only those items you want sync'd from the iTunes Library are checked.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 30, 2015 10:33 PM in response to gail from maine

Thanks Gail. I understand what you're saying. Do I need to then select each app that I do or don't want to sync/download across onto my ipad?

I have different apps to my 11 yr old daughter and I don't really want to get Frozen or something on my ipad, which is what is happening automatically when I back up my ipad.

Appreciate your help. Am severely frustrated after spending hours on this.

Thanks,

Rachel

Mar 30, 2015 10:59 PM in response to ohgeeohmy

Well, once you have selected the device that you have hooked up, and then selected the Apps option, you will see all of the apps that are currently on the device on little displays of your Home Screens as well as a list of all Apps in the Library. Next to those Apps you will see one of two settings to start with:

Install: This indicates an App that is in the Library but not on the device. You can click on this to cause the app to install on the device when you do the sync. When you click it, it will change to "Will Install" until you do the sync. After the sync, it will then show as "Remove" (see below)

Remove: This indicates an App that is currently on the device. You can click on this to cause the app to be removed when you do the sync. When you click it, it will change to "Will Remove" until you do the sync. After the sync, it will then show as "Install" (see above)

They are basically toggle switches:

User uploaded file

Cheers,

GB

Trouble backing up ipad - getting apps from other ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.