Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

._ files question HELP

HI,

im kind of new to some of the filing system with macs and I seem to run into a lot of ._ files, I know what some are, but I was backing up my itune library yesterday and I came over two duplicated files 2 called ._itunes preferences list and ._.itunes preferences list and 2 called ._sentinel and ._.sentinel. If someone could advine shock to keep ir woould help. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, External had 2 tb

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 11:04 PM

1 reply

Mar 31, 2015 6:59 AM in response to Squintyeyezz

Normally those are various pieces of metadata associated with a file that cannot be stored inside the file itself. They are given this _ prefix and the "." prefix to make them hidden. Usually they show up (or pollute) on any non-native HFS+ file system that a Mac connects to. If the Mac doesn't have the native file system it expects, it just stuffs all of this other data into this other file.

._ files question HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.