Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad experience with Y! mobile sim card in Japan

I just got back from Japan where I used a pre-paid Y! mobile sim card for 100 MB data per day accessing the NTT-Docomo network, which worked fine until I returned to the US and had Verizon put my old Verizon sim card back in my iPhone 6 plus. Everything seemed fine at first, but I noticed I was no longer getting cellular data reception in areas I always had in the past, and then noticed I couldn't access any of my voice mails from earlier that same day (or in the past). Also, the phone had lost the custom voicemail greeting I had, and any attempts I made to create a new greeting resulted in an error message "greeting not saved". After many hours on the phone with Verizon advanced support, I had to do a full reset on my iphone. The Y! mobile sim card had required I install a "profile" which involved accessing a URL, and whatever "profile" it had installed had messed up my phone's settings in such a way that could only be solved by a full reset. Pretty messy experience.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:38 PM

A follow up on this, my attempts to restore my iphone and copy my data (pics, contacts, etc) back on the phone through iCloud did NOT solve the problem. Apparently the Y! mobile sim card I got in Japan (which involved going to a URL to install what they called a "profile") jail-broke my phone and messed it up, and the only solution was to wipe it clean and start over. Anytime I used iCloud to restore old content the phone got screwed up again. I am attempting to use the Verizon Cloud to try to get my contacts back now.

Bottom line - avoid getting a Y! mobile sim-card for your iphone if you travel to japan (particularly if they ask you to access a URL to install a profile).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 10:38 PM in response to gigasaurus

A follow up on this, my attempts to restore my iphone and copy my data (pics, contacts, etc) back on the phone through iCloud did NOT solve the problem. Apparently the Y! mobile sim card I got in Japan (which involved going to a URL to install what they called a "profile") jail-broke my phone and messed it up, and the only solution was to wipe it clean and start over. Anytime I used iCloud to restore old content the phone got screwed up again. I am attempting to use the Verizon Cloud to try to get my contacts back now.

Bottom line - avoid getting a Y! mobile sim-card for your iphone if you travel to japan (particularly if they ask you to access a URL to install a profile).

Bad experience with Y! mobile sim card in Japan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.