Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To unprotect m4p audio files using iTunes Match

I have been clearing up some music files uploading them to Google Play and discovered some were m4p protected files. As this is an Apple format they must have been purchased from iTunes but they have not been "cleansed" by uploading/matching on iTunes Match and downloading to my hard disc. Surely there is an error here. How can I get "clean" copies? I am using a PC btw although we have 2 ipads & an ipod.

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 12:25 AM

3 replies

Mar 31, 2015 2:58 AM in response to Grambo2012

Hi,

You upgrade protected tracks by deleting the original from your iTunes library and then downloading the upgraded version.

If you add iCloud status, file type and bit rate, this will tell you the existing status of the tracks. Most tracks will show "purchased", protected aac and 128 kpbs.

Once upgraded, they will be "purchased", purchased aac and 256 kbps.

Some tracks will not be upgraded probably because they are no longer available in iTunes stores. Those tracks will remain protected aac at 128 Kbps. In some instances these tracks will be matched and therefore you can upgrade to matched AAC with 256 kbps

Jim

Apr 1, 2015 12:35 AM in response to Grambo2012

Grambo2012 wrote:

Hi, I've done that but but it comes downloaded as a still protected m4p format. I know iTunes do not download better quality on non-purchased items but being an m4p format must indicate it is an apple product and should therefore be "cleansed".

Do you have iTunes match turned on?

If a track is matched, it will show iCloud status as "Matched". You can then delete original and download matched track, this will provide you an upgraded copy if your previous tracks where either MP3 or had a bit rare of less than 256 Kbps.

WIth regard purchased tracks, I gave you info on previous post. You should be able to upgrade most tracks but some won't.

Jim

To unprotect m4p audio files using iTunes Match

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.