Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac book pro shuts down after starting

My Mac book pro shuts down after a few second. I have to press the start button multiple time before uploading

Time Capsule 802.11n (3rd Gen), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 3:05 AM

13 replies

Mar 31, 2015 5:11 PM in response to TinTin 15

What year is your Macbook Pro? Some 17" MBPs from 2011 are subject to recall. Although your symptoms seem different, check it out. See this page for instructions. https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/ You will need your serial number.

If that does not apply, try starting up in Recovery mode by holding down the Command and R keys together. Select Disk Utility and then your startup disk and Repair Disk and Repair Disk Permissions.

If your disk is verified as OK, try resetting the SMC. Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

Apr 2, 2015 5:17 PM in response to Cunnla

MacBook Pro (17 -inch, Mid 2009) OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Serial Number W8******8YB

Disk Utility Message:

Repairing permission for "Macintosh HD"

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOSARDAge nt" has been modifiedand wil not be repaired

Group differs on "Library/Printers/InstallerPrinters.plist";should be 80; group is 0.

Permission differs on "Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist" should be -rw-rw-rw ; tey are -rw-r---r--

Repaired "Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist"

Group differs on " Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist" should be 80; group is 0.

Repaired "Library/Prefernces/com.apple.alf.plist"

User differs on "private/var/db/displaypolicyd"; should be 0; user is 244

Group differs on "private/var/db/dispaypolicyd:; should be 0 group is 244

Repaired "private/var/db/displaypolicyd"

Permission repair complete

I was not able to fix the problem,

TinTin 15

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Apr 2, 2015 7:43 AM in response to TinTin 15

Use the original installation disk that came with your MBP and boot the MBP as if you were reinstalling the original OSX.

Proceed until you see a menu bar on top of the display.

Select UTILITIES.

From the drop down menu select Disk Utility.

Run Disk Utility>First Aid, Verify and Repair.

If the disk cannot be repaired, it will have to be replaced.

Ciao.

Apr 7, 2015 1:43 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I use the original installation disk, hold down the C key as the computer starts up. The menu bar and the OS X Utilities window froze. The continue box stays gray. I click on all icons in the menu no response.

I reinstall the original OS X I shut down the computer restart it, It did not fix the problem.

I use the Hardware Test Disk, the message came out: no error found.

TinTin 15

Apr 7, 2015 4:00 AM in response to TinTin 15

TinTin 15 wrote:

I use the original installation disk, hold down the C key as the computer starts up. The menu bar and the OS X Utilities window froze. The continue box stays gray. I click on all icons in the menu no response.

I reinstall the original OS X I shut down the computer restart it, It did not fix the problem.

Does this mean you now have the original OS -- Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- installed? And the same thing is happening, you can start up in OS X 10.5.7 but it shuts down almost immediately?

It might be best to take your computer in to an Apple store and let them check it. You can make an appointment.

Apple - Support - Search

My Mac book pro shuts down after starting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.