Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto deleted photos after import

Just a few minutes ago, I plugged my camera into my computer and selected "Import Photos" when the option appeared. I waited as the photos imported, and when they were done I ejected the camera. My iPhoto closed by itself, but I thought nothing of it, cause it usually does that. I opened the iPhoto and scrolled through my library and the photos are not there. I then went under "About this mac" to see if the memory the photos had taken had cleared, and it hasn't, so I'm thinking the photos most be there somehow.

Sadly I said the camera should delete the imported photos when I was asked, so they aren't on there.

Please help 😕

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 2:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 2:30 AM

Which version of iPhoto do you have? And which MacOS X version?

Did you already restart the Mac? If not, don't do it right now, so the temporary folders will not be cleared.

Sometimes iPhoto stores photos in temporary directories, hidden in the system. Look, if you can find a folder with photos there.

• Launch the Terminal.app from the older Applications > Utilities.
  • Copy and paste into the Terminal window the following line and hit return

open /tmp; open $TMPDIR

This will open two Finder windows showing you the caches used by applications. Look for folders with iPhoto in the name and look inside. Does one of them contain your missing photos? If yes, copy them to a folder on your Desktop.

If there is nothing, post back with the version numbers.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 2:30 AM in response to drez_123

Which version of iPhoto do you have? And which MacOS X version?

Did you already restart the Mac? If not, don't do it right now, so the temporary folders will not be cleared.

Sometimes iPhoto stores photos in temporary directories, hidden in the system. Look, if you can find a folder with photos there.

• Launch the Terminal.app from the older Applications > Utilities.
  • Copy and paste into the Terminal window the following line and hit return

open /tmp; open $TMPDIR

This will open two Finder windows showing you the caches used by applications. Look for folders with iPhoto in the name and look inside. Does one of them contain your missing photos? If yes, copy them to a folder on your Desktop.

If there is nothing, post back with the version numbers.

Mar 31, 2015 6:15 AM in response to léonie

I have exactly the same problem. Photos disappeared after import, as iPhoto crashed when trying to comment photos. Unfortunately, I restarted my Mac, hoping it will solve the problem. Sorry, but I am rather new to Mac, and I don't know how to launch the Terminal.app (I don't know where to find Applications/Utilities - I am using a French version).

I am using Yosemite 10.10.2, and iPhoto 9.6.1 (910.42).

I do not dare to import new pictures, nor to try a repair or rebuild of the library, as suggested on other forums.

I would greatly appreciate help.

Mar 31, 2015 9:57 AM in response to Ouini

Unfortunately, I restarted my Mac, hoping it will solve the problem.

The restart will have erased the caches, so don't bother to launch the Terminal.

as iPhoto crashed when trying to comment photos

So you have seen the imported photos already in your iPhoto Library and started to edit them?

Then look into the iPhoto Library, if your photos are inside the iPhoto Library package.

• Ctrl-click the iPhoto library and use the command "Show Package Contents".
  • A Finder window will open. Look for folders with "Masters" in the name. You will see subfolders named by year, and inside by month and day. Are your missing photos there?

Mar 31, 2015 11:59 PM in response to Ouini

If all photos are in the Masters folder, rebuild your iPhoto Library.

Make a backup copy of the iPhoto Library. Use an external disk for that, so you do nor run out of space on the drive with the library.

Usually rebuilding your iPhoto library using the First Aid Tools should fix this,

see iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library

and if this does not suffice, rebuild using iPhoto Library Manager as described by Old Toad, see: OldToad's Fixes: Rebuild the iPhoto Library

Apr 26, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Ouini

The library is fine now (although it is very heavy; is it the reason for iPhoto to be so slow?

That would depend on a number of things. How much free space do you have on your boot drive? How much RAM installed? The speed of the CPU.

Also if you've run any "cleaning" or "optimizing" apps that can definitely adversely affect not only iPhoto performance but the entire system. Never run any such types of apps. The are a no-no.

Jun 17, 2015 1:49 PM in response to léonie

I am going through the same thing, we lost my son's first birthday pictures when iphoto crashed, after they had been imported. However, I could not find a "Masters" folder in my contents. Any thoughts if the photos could be hiding anywhere else? When this happened last month, we thought we had recovered the photos from our SD drive, however, come to find, we did not recover all, there are about 50 pictures just missing some how from the batch, that just so happen to be only birthday pictures. Thank you so much for your help, still holding a little hope those pictures are hiding somewhere in this computer.

iPhoto deleted photos after import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.