Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't change my language while typing, in any app.

I have an iPad 3 and recently reset it to factory settings. It's running the latest iOS 8.2. Now I always set my iOS devices to default language English, but I since I do live and work in Germany, I also use German. I was able to add the secondary language just fine in the settings menu, but for some reason I can't switch to it in applications (Notes, Messages, OneNote are the ones I tried it in). Where the globe icon on the keyboard normally is, I can only see a smiley icon and I can switch to Emojis, but not to the secondary language. I did restart the iPad after adding the language, just to make sure.

iPad 2, iOS 8.2, It's an iPad 3!

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 1:51 AM

I know, and have you added a keyboard layout for that language ? There are two different settings, adding a language (Settings > General > Language > Add Language), and adding a keyboard layout (Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard) - which of those have you done ?

4 replies

I can't change my language while typing, in any app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.