Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

incorrect autofill email in safari

Hi

This has been driving me mad, I've checked google and the forum and find several references to autofill drawing the autofill email details from contacts, however I've checked that and I can't find the problem.

The issue is with my wife's email address, at some point in the past she has obviously mistyped her email address and safari has "remembered" that error and now autofill overtypes what she has typed this time with the incorrect version. Her error just misses one letter.

I've looked everywhere and can't find where the problem is, any help would be much appreciated

I'm using OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2

Thanks

Adam

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 2:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 7:57 AM

I finally cracked this. I went on line with the Apple Support people. They very patiently went through all of the things I had done, then they were stuck. They suggested a couple of things which didn't work. Final solution was to get to a random log in web site, then before putting in any data like your email that his usually overwritten incorrectly, right (two finger) click on the blank "username/email address" field. This brings up a a selection box of which on option is Spelling and Grammar. Highlight this with your cursor and another selection opens up. Click on the "Show Spelling and Grammar" option and another box opens. This next set is a bit hazy (it was late, I was tired and also desperate for a solution) so bear with me....I had two goes at this and am not sure which one worked so try one then the other...

In the blank top line of the Spelling and Grammar box I put my Wrong ID and then clicked "change". Nothing seemed to happen so I put in the Correct ID and clicked "change". Again nothing seemed to happen.

However when I clicked out of all these boxes, and went to log in to a web page as a test, for some reason this seemed to have cleared the incorrect log in auto-fill. The Apple Support person, who had access to my screen by this time, was amazed and couldn't explain why what I had done had worked.
This was over a week ago and the erroneous log in/auto fill has gone for good.

Hope this helps someone. Apologies that I was't as methodical in getting the certain solution but as I say, try one, then if that doesn't work try the other. One of those should clear it.

I did ask the Apple person to make sure this fix is posted widely on all forums but I don't think they did.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2015 7:57 AM in response to adam1630

I finally cracked this. I went on line with the Apple Support people. They very patiently went through all of the things I had done, then they were stuck. They suggested a couple of things which didn't work. Final solution was to get to a random log in web site, then before putting in any data like your email that his usually overwritten incorrectly, right (two finger) click on the blank "username/email address" field. This brings up a a selection box of which on option is Spelling and Grammar. Highlight this with your cursor and another selection opens up. Click on the "Show Spelling and Grammar" option and another box opens. This next set is a bit hazy (it was late, I was tired and also desperate for a solution) so bear with me....I had two goes at this and am not sure which one worked so try one then the other...

In the blank top line of the Spelling and Grammar box I put my Wrong ID and then clicked "change". Nothing seemed to happen so I put in the Correct ID and clicked "change". Again nothing seemed to happen.

However when I clicked out of all these boxes, and went to log in to a web page as a test, for some reason this seemed to have cleared the incorrect log in auto-fill. The Apple Support person, who had access to my screen by this time, was amazed and couldn't explain why what I had done had worked.
This was over a week ago and the erroneous log in/auto fill has gone for good.

Hope this helps someone. Apologies that I was't as methodical in getting the certain solution but as I say, try one, then if that doesn't work try the other. One of those should clear it.

I did ask the Apple person to make sure this fix is posted widely on all forums but I don't think they did.

Oct 18, 2015 5:06 AM in response to adam1630

I have the exact same problem. I mis-spelled my email address by 1 letter and now the erroneous entry keeps being auto filled by safari. I have checked everywhere (Autofill preferences for safari, Keychain) but cannot find where the error is stored and so cannot delete it. This is so frustrating and has resulted in my not receiving emails as they have been sent to the wrong address.

User uploaded file

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.

Nov 9, 2015 5:32 AM in response to Mikeysmum-2008

Please add me to this same list of problems. Safari Autofill has been cleaned (my erroneous email wasn't there) Passwords checked and cleared, Keychain checked and not there. Checked my contacts too without success. In desperation I even checked Word Dictionary. Am wondering where this email address must be stored. Am on on El Capitan 10.11.1
I assume that as there has been no update to this thread for some time before my reply, no one knows.......

incorrect autofill email in safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.