Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

really struggling with 10.10 and merging iPhoto libraries

I imported my old iPhoto Library via firewire (from Mac mini 1.6 10.6 to Mini 2.53 10.10)

My 2.53 has about 1000 images on it, as I had been downloading / using as main computer

I imported old library onto my desktop of Mini 2.53

I opened the file on desktop, iPhoto said did I want to change library (you would have thought it would have offered option to merge), I said yes and then it went through a long process of updating photos. After one failed / crashed attempts and a few hours later ! success ! ... my old photo Library 225GB ... working and still sitting on my desktop.

Now ... next thing I want to do is merge this Library / import into the one I have on my 2.53 mini (1000 or so images)

1st thing ... finder in 10.10 is so poor that you can't navigate, you can't find anything (10.6 x1000 better) so I can't move the desktop iPhoto (old) library) into the picture folder

2nd I open IPhoto and ask to switch (from old library which has now become default) to the one which was on the 2.53 , and there seems to be 2 options iPhoto Library and one option IPhoto Old Library, I select one of the iPhoto Library and then iPhoto says needs to repair but not enough disk space ...

Really unworkable (I am finding 10.10) ... Snow Leopard was so good.

Thanks for your help

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2.53 Mhz 2duo; 4g mem; 500HD; v2009

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 2:10 AM

1 reply

Mar 31, 2015 3:37 AM in response to cosmiconion

Now ... next thing I want to do is merge this Library / import into the one I have on my 2.53 mini (1000 or so images)

iPhoto cannot merge libraries.

You can just switch between the libraries and view them in turn.

If you try to import one library into the other you will create a mess of duplicates - thumbnails, previews, etc. You should be glad, that iPhoto did not let you do this. It would have wrecked your iPhoto library.

To merge iPhoto libraries you can use the full, paid version of iPhoto Library Manager: Fat Cat Software – iPhoto Library Manager

It s a very useful addition to iPhoto and has rescued many libraries.

The other option is to export the photos from library 1 and import the exported photos into library 2.

I select one of the iPhoto Library and then iPhoto says needs to repair but not enough disk space ...

If you are short of storage do all merging and preparing your libraries on the external drive. It is risky to update or work with iPhoto libraries, if you are in danger of running out of storage and having iPhoto crash. That may corrupt your iPhoto library beyond repair.

If you want to use an external drive, if only temporary, make sure the drive has the correct file system. The drive needs to be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled). See: iPhoto: Issues with FAT32-formatted drives

Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

Really unworkable (I am finding 10.10) ... Snow Leopard was so good.

It is a large step from Snow to Yosemite. I loved SnowLeopard to. It is well designed and stable, but yosemite has many things to offer.

To see what changed between versions:

OSX Tips Some Changes in Lion

OSX Tips Mountain Lion Changes

really struggling with 10.10 and merging iPhoto libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.