Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On screen keyboard won't go away ( at all )

Running latest iOS 8 version in iPad 4. I often use an Apple Bluetooth keyboard with it. Since the latest update, after using the BT keyboard, when I turn off the bluetooth on the iPad the on screen keyboard pops up. If I am using a writing app or searching, this is normal. What is NOT NORMAL. Is that the keyboard stays up no matter what I am doing, from trying to read an iBook, looking at a picture, even trying to access the lock screen number pad. The keyboard just sits there!

normally you can dismiss the keyboard with the button on the lower right corner, but when this problem happens, it doesn't work. Simply putting the iPad to sleep doesn't get rid of it, only restarting. If I use the BT keyboard again, it is back. The iPad is next to useless with a third of the screen used up by the keyboard for no good reason. I have been using iOS 8 since it came out and this only started happening after the update to 8.2. I have seen other threads somewhat like this, but none that had the keyboard up permanently , even on places like the background screen and the lock screen where it is clearly inappropriate at any time. The keyboard is the dark colored one, not the light one.

we also need a new category for these posts like iOS bugs or just iOS.

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 4:27 AM

6 replies

Mar 31, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Trying again,

I don't have any third party keyboard apps. I may try reseting as a last resort. I don't want to lose any settings I have unless it is necessary. Is this a cure, or only a temporary fix? Doc9 has given me a way to dismiss the keyboard at least which is as he says, the search one, not the regular one.

Appreciate the suggestions. I'm using the keyboard now, so I may find out soon if the dismissal thing was good for more than one round of this.

Mar 31, 2015 2:55 PM in response to Dana Johnson

1. Delete any third party keyboards you may have installed: Settings App > General > Keyboards > Keyboards
  2. Try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the reset.

On screen keyboard won't go away ( at all )

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.