Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make my wifi invisible to others

Hi,

i would like to know how to make my wifi connection invisible to others.

i Have a time machine with a guest network.

many thanks in advance.

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 2:09 AM

i would like to know how to make my wifi connection invisible to others

This is not really possible, since there are any number of free utilities on the Internet that will reveal a "hidden" network in seconds. Anyone who wants to see your network will be able to do so very quickly and easily.

iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad often have difficulty connecting to a "hidden" network as well.

If you still want to do this......

Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the Time Capsule icon, then click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next page

Click the Wireless Options button near the bottom of the page

Enter a check mark in the box next to Create hidden network

Click Save

Click Update at the lower right of the window and allow a minute for the Time Capsule to restart

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 2:09 AM in response to Kostadaras

i would like to know how to make my wifi connection invisible to others

This is not really possible, since there are any number of free utilities on the Internet that will reveal a "hidden" network in seconds. Anyone who wants to see your network will be able to do so very quickly and easily.

iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad often have difficulty connecting to a "hidden" network as well.

If you still want to do this......

Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the Time Capsule icon, then click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next page

Click the Wireless Options button near the bottom of the page

Enter a check mark in the box next to Create hidden network

Click Save

Click Update at the lower right of the window and allow a minute for the Time Capsule to restart

User uploaded file

Apr 1, 2015 2:07 AM in response to Kostadaras

Please note, invisible wifi is not and never was part of the specs for wireless networking.. it was a rather silly invention of the router manufacturers in the early days of wireless when WEP was the best security around.

The reason it causes trouble is that your wifi then does not comply to IEEE standard.

And it offers no improvement in security.. please stick to WPA2 personal with a decent password for security.. that is the one and only method.

How can I make my wifi invisible to others

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.