Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro slow to boot up (out of the box)

My company bought 4 new Mac Pro units at the end of 2014. Of the three mine was the first to get powered up. It takes roughly 5 minutes to boot. In that time there is nothing on the screens. The other 3 boot up in 30-45 seconds. This has happened since the first boot with only the thunderbolt display hooked up. I've tested it with other displays with the same results. All 4 units are identical.

What is going on here?

Specs for each system...

Processor: 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory: 32 GB RAM (using slot 1 & 2)

Graphics: AMD FirePro D500

OSX: 10.9.5

Boot drive: Apple SSD 210GB (120GB Available)

Thunderbolt Display

27" LG connected via HDMI-to-thunderbolt

27" LG connected via HDMI port on Mac Pro

Thanks in advance!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 6:43 AM

1 reply

Mar 31, 2015 7:36 AM in response to Crowley83

You waited roughly 3 months to boot this machine for the very first time or for 3 months it's been booting this way? Your comments suggest you just unpacked this baby and powered it up and it's slow. If it's been running for 3 months, it's not out of the box.

This machine is still under warranty... why not have Apple Care take a look at it? If as you say the setup between all 4 is identical but only this one is slow to boot, it's likely going to be a hardware issue, not a software one.

Questions to ask yourself:

1. Is the hard drive nearly full?

2. Have you checked Disk Permissions and Verified the Disk?

3. If you have a dual boot configuration, is the OS X partition the default startup partition?

4. Have you reset the NVRAM/SMC yet?

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

5. Have your cleared your kext caches?

In Terminal, copy/paste this one row at a time into the Terminal window and hit return:

sudo chown root:admin /

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

Quit Terminal and reboot.

Mac Pro slow to boot up (out of the box)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.