Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yosemite upgrade preparation

I am preparing to upgrade to yosemite. Should I upgrade iphoto before or afterwards? I have Snow Leopard and iphoto 8.1.2 which I gather will not be useable on yosemite.

3.06ghz intel core 2 duo

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 8:50 AM

Afterwards. You can't do it before.

Always make a complete back up before upgrading anything.

10 replies

Mar 31, 2015 8:51 AM in response to ruby.tuesday

I have Snow Leopard and iphoto 8.1.2 which I gather will not be useable on yosemite.

If you are working on any books, finish them before the upgrade. The Book themes will change and your books may look slightly differently.

If you are using older PowerPC software, try to run all available updates to Intel compatible versions before you upgrade, i.e. printer drivers and scanner drivers. You will no longer be able to run PowerpC applications on Yosemite.

See this User Tip: Upgrading to 10.7 and above, don't forget Rosetta!: Apple Support Communities

Mar 31, 2015 11:56 AM in response to léonie

I was pointing it out more for your benefit than for the OP.

I always suggest upgrading software, when that option is available.

When that option is not available, such as for users of: extensive Appleworks databases, libraries of graphic images created in Freehand MX and students given textbook with CD-ROMs that require Rosetta to run, this is their only solution!

Telling those users that: "You will no longer be able to run PowerpC applications on Yosemite" is not an appropriate answer.

Mar 31, 2015 12:16 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Telling those users that: "You will no longer be able to run PowerpC applications on Yosemite" is not an appropriate answer.

Well, Yosemite cannot execute PowerPC code, you need to install Snow Leopard as well on the Mac, if you want to emulate a PowerPC using Rosetta. You could as well say, Yosemite can run Windows applications.

Having to run device drivers in Parallels with snow Leopard is not as quick and responsive than running them directly in the native MacOsX. I gave up on Snow Leopard, after trying for quite some time to run my Nikon Scan slide scanner in Parallels, and also an older audio interface was no joy. It was easier to dedicate an older MBP to run MacOS 10.6.8.

Mar 31, 2015 3:30 PM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

Well, Yosemite cannot execute PowerPC code, you need to install Snow Leopard as well on the Mac, if you want to emulate a PowerPC using Rosetta. You could as well say, Yosemite can run Windows applications.

Except that 99% of Mac users purchased their Mac to run Mac apps; not Windows apps. And, I will postulate that 99% of Snow Leopard users run PowerPC apps, even though most of them have or had no idea what they were, as Rosetta was so miraculously transparent! So the problem being faced by those who ask about upgrading from Snow Leopard to Yosemite is to make them aware of a problem that most of them do not know exists and then giving them solutions to that problem.

léonie wrote:

Having to run device drivers in Parallels with snow Leopard is not as quick and responsive than running them directly in the native MacOsX. I gave up on Snow Leopard, after trying for quite some time to run my Nikon Scan slide scanner in Parallels, and also an older audio interface was no joy. It was easier to dedicate an older MBP to run MacOS 10.6.8.

You are in the enviable position of owning "an older MBP" that can still run Snow Leopard Mac OS X 10.6.8. Many users today are not in that position.

Take, for example, a college student who goes to class with his new MacBook Air/Pro running Yosemite; they cannot downgrade their OS X to Snow Leopard. When handed a college textbook with a Pearson Educational CD-ROM that was written in 2005, it will just not work on their MacBook. Should they just give up while watching other students using their CD-ROMs, or should they remain competitive?

Giving them the information that they can easily install Snow Leopard Server into Parallels for no more than $99 (and many times even less), will allow them to run these CD-ROMs and keep up with their other classmates.

While it is true, in your case, you can see greater efficiency and speed running PowerPC drivers and software in Snow Leopard on an older Mac that can still run Snow Leopard. However, in today's world of i5 and i7 CPU's running many PowerPC apps in Snow Leopard Server in Parallels is actually faster on these modern Macs, then they were on their original PowerPC Macs of ten years ago.

You will recognize this efficiency when the day arrives that your MBP bites the dust and you are in the market for a new one from Apple but yet still need access to your Nikon slide scanner and/or audio interface...

yosemite upgrade preparation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.