Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know how iCloud resolves conflicts? (iOS save games)

Hello all,

We're having some users report an issue with our App that their save game is being nuked when they close the App, sing in to iCloud and then re-open. We have a number of leads we can follow, but first thing is first; Does anyone know how conflicts are resolved by the iCloud system? What it does internally?

Scenario:

• Achieve some amount of progress through an App.
  • Achieve some other amount of progress through an App from a different device.
  • Sign into iCloud on both.

iCloud obviously decides which data to use, but how? Is it literally just a "last write to file wins" case?

Another question is, does anybody know if iCloud would act strangely/not at all on a device which was jailbroken? We have a very small number of users reporting this issue so that may be another likely situation.

Many thanks

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 7:38 AM

The App has to be explicitly coded to support saving files across multiple devices.

Did you do that?

Just turning on iCloud support on the iPad won't do it.

Jailbreaking discussion is off-limits in Apple's sponsored forums.

4 replies

Mar 31, 2015 7:43 AM in response to msuper69

Yes, we are fully supporting iCloud. It's a very rare case that we get this report from users and no solid repro steps have yet been given. Many users have successfully played on multiple devices with iCloud enabled and their save game is perfectly intact. There just seems to be an edge case where it's possible that a call to iClouds synchronize and what it actually does in that function is resolving an older save file. So knowing what the internals of how it resolves conflicts will allow us to add another layer with our own conflict resolution specific to our App.

Mar 31, 2015 8:14 AM in response to msuper69

The synchronize function is a native method. Its implementation won't be documented in an API reference, I was just wondering if anyone had any "not well known" information about how apples synchronization worked. I've managed to find some information about how it would resolve a conflict between a standard document, it brings up a conflict resolution box. I guess this pretty much answers my question. Thanks for the replies though!

Does anyone know how iCloud resolves conflicts? (iOS save games)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.