Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Joining public WiFI network

I am building a small restaurant, and will be served by a municipal WiFi network. Can I use an Airport/Extreme to access the WiFI net to provide an access point for my POS system and an (Ooma) VOIP phone? I use an Airport network at my other location to extend WIFI all over the place, but the Airport Extreme is plugged into a DSL router. Will and Airport connect to another network? I was hoping I could set-up my own little Airport net inside, and use the Muni WiFI to connect to the Web.

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 11:01 AM

Can I use an Airport/Extreme to access the WiFI net to provide an access point for my POS system and an (Ooma) VOIP phone?

Sorry, but no.

However, you should be able to use an AirPort Express to "join" the WiFi network and then connect an Ethernet cable from the LAN <--> port on the Express to the WAN (circle of dots) port on an AirPort Extreme and configure the Extreme to create your own private wireless network.

Will and Airport connect to another network?

Yes, if you use an AirPort Express, but the Express cannot both connect to and then extend a third party network. That is why you will need to use another AirPort router to create a wireless signal. Unless you need the extra features of an AirPort Extreme, you could use two AirPort Express devices.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 11:01 AM in response to mwr

Can I use an Airport/Extreme to access the WiFI net to provide an access point for my POS system and an (Ooma) VOIP phone?

Sorry, but no.

However, you should be able to use an AirPort Express to "join" the WiFi network and then connect an Ethernet cable from the LAN <--> port on the Express to the WAN (circle of dots) port on an AirPort Extreme and configure the Extreme to create your own private wireless network.

Will and Airport connect to another network?

Yes, if you use an AirPort Express, but the Express cannot both connect to and then extend a third party network. That is why you will need to use another AirPort router to create a wireless signal. Unless you need the extra features of an AirPort Extreme, you could use two AirPort Express devices.

Mar 31, 2015 11:38 AM in response to mwr

Yes, you are correct.

I use the same type of setup at hotels that only provide a wireless connection. The first Express "joins" or picks up the wireless signal and then, acting like a modem, it sends an Ethernet signal to the second Express which is setup as a normal router, allowing multiple devices to connect.

Things should work for you. I say should, because you really won't know.....IF.....things work the way that they should until you try them out. For that reason, if you need to purchase additional hardware, it would be a good idea to understand the store's return policy before you buy.

Apple allows a 14 day return privilege, for example, but other store's policies may vary.

May 17, 2015 5:29 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob-

I am getting ready to set up the aforementioned system this week. I have 2 Airport Expresses I am thinking of trying before I buy another Extreme. I have 2 questions for you:

1) WHat possible advantages would there be in using an Extreme as opposed to an Express? This place is like 14x20 feet, so it is not big. I need to connect an iPad for my POS, the Oooma voip phone (which I set-up at home and it seems to function) which has an option to either use an ethernet cable or it's USB "Wi-Fi adapter", and I'll need music, so...

2) Can I use AirPlay (from the #2, express that is Creating a network) to stream music from my iPad with this set-up, or will I need a 3rd(!?!) Express?

And I guess the obvious question I should also ask, is there a better way to do all of this?

Thanks-

Michael

Airport Joining public WiFI network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.