Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset iPad without losing game progress

Hi! I would like to reset my IPad 2 back to factory settings, as if it is a new iPad, but I do not want to lose all my game progress. I have 2 games that I'm not sure what will happen to.

I tried researching this myself online and it seems like as long as I backup to icloud before resetting, I won't lose game progress. Is this true?

Thanks for the help!

iPad 2, iOS 8.2, null

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 7:50 AM

4 replies

Jul 11, 2017 9:26 AM in response to Nicolett80

I just reset my ipad to factory settings and as soon as I got my game from the app store and opened it, it started asking me to create a new account. I was immediately horrified - thinking I had lost my progress on said game, and then came across your post. After more research, I couldn't find anything, so I figured that I'd just have to start over. Thankfully, to my surprise, after I went through the trouble of "creating a new account" in my game, it found my old game and asked if I wanted to continue with that profile or create a new. So I guess some games save stuff when it doesn't seem like it. Hope you can get back to your games!

Mar 31, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Nicolett80

That depends on the specific games/apps you're referring to. Some do not have the option to save any documents & data to iCloud.

What games are you referring to?

Some can be connected to Facebook, so game progress is saved even if the app is deleted & reinstalled, as long as you log back into Facebook when playing them again.

Mar 31, 2015 9:10 AM in response to Nicolett80

Game Center only saves games achievement. It never saves game progress. It is up to the developer as to whether they have built in the feature to save game progress.

Not sure if this is true (I don't have that game) but after doing a quick google search, it appears you can save Sims Freeplay progress to the Cloud. I also think you can connect it to Facebook. Maybe someone else on the forum can verify this?

How to reset iPad without losing game progress

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.