Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Put a new hard drive in macbook that is older only will run 10.7 cant reload iphoto keynote pages or numbers help

I just installed a new hard drive in older macbook can only load 10.7 now I cant reload iphoto, keynote, numbers, and pages don't really want to have to get a new system so I can work on my files what can I do?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Iphone 4

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:25 AM

5 replies

Mar 31, 2015 10:28 AM in response to teamfollis1

I'm not sure what you need to know. If you have a computer that is too old to run a version of OS X past Lion, then there isn't anything you can do. If it meets the requirements for Mountain Lion or Yosemite, then all you need for upgrading is to obtain a copy of the proper installer from the App Store.

Upgrading to Mountain Lion

To upgrade to Mountain Lion you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Purchase a redemption code at the Online Apple Store: OS X Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion is $19.99 plus tax. Use the code to redeem a download of Mountain Lion from the App Store. The file is quite large, over 4 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mountain Lion - System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later.

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model

Identifier 5,1 or later.

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later.

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Upgrading to Yosemite

You can upgrade to Yosemite from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Yosemite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Yosemite

To upgrade to Yosemite you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Mar 31, 2015 10:58 AM in response to teamfollis1

No one is holding you hostage. You are always free to use other software and hardware. Perhaps you should have researched further before upgrading the hard drive in an older, unsupported model. Sorry, but this is your fault, not Apple's. If it's upsetting and wrong, then you need to kick yourself because you are responsible.

Remove that new HDD and use it elsewhere. Recycle the old computer.

Put a new hard drive in macbook that is older only will run 10.7 cant reload iphoto keynote pages or numbers help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.