Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari replaced all my bookmarks with those from another of my computer... without asking. How do I keep this from happening again and how do I restore the old bookmarks?

Safari bookmarks issue

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 12:35 PM

1. Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the box marked Safari.

2. You can only restore the whole bookmarks file to a previous state. It's not possible to restore individual bookmarks.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Safari

Quit Safari.

Select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window should open. Restore the file named "Bookmarks.plist" in that folder from a backup that predates the unwanted changes.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Bill Foraker

1. Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the box marked Safari.

2. You can only restore the whole bookmarks file to a previous state. It's not possible to restore individual bookmarks.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Safari

Quit Safari.

Select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window should open. Restore the file named "Bookmarks.plist" in that folder from a backup that predates the unwanted changes.

Apr 1, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

Thanks very much for your help. I'm almost there. As for the backup of the older bookmarks, I don't have one on the time capsule. The two backups I have both have the newer bookmarks. BUT I do have the older set on my iPhone 6 and my iPad mini. Can I restore the Safari bookmarks on my iMac from either of those?

Thanks again,

Bill Foraker

Apr 1, 2015 7:23 AM in response to Bill Foraker

If you only have two snapshots in Time Machine, you need a larger backup volume. But that's not going to help you restore the bookmarks.

Back up your iOS devices. Turn off iCloud synchronization of Safari on all devices except one of those. Quit Safari and delete the bookmarks file on the Mac, then enable Safari sync on it. Launch Safari. The bookmarks should sync from the iOS device.

Safari replaced all my bookmarks with those from another of my computer... without asking. How do I keep this from happening again and how do I restore the old bookmarks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.