Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice:Airport TimeCapsule,which one to connect 2.4 or 5Ghz?

I have recently bought Airport Time Machine 2Tb and have AmcBook Air 2013 late.

There were no issues with connecting to wifi before Yosemite. Now since i have updated and recently got Airport Time machine 2Tb, which works fine, however when i put the mac from sleep to awake, it connects to different wifi network, sometimes, and i then have to click on my AirPort Time Machine network, which i have named it.

So, i saw in the Airport Utility settings that it was set to Automatic 2.4 and 5Ghz. However i selected 5 Ghz only.

Will that do any harm? or should i just leave it to default. Screenshot attached.

ThanksUser uploaded file

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 8:20 AM

3 replies

Mar 31, 2015 9:38 AM in response to ksadoc

If you enabled the option to assign a separate name to the 5 GHz network, then you will need to "point" your Mac at that network name if you want to connect to 5 GHz.

Using System Preferences > Network > WiFi > Advanced, you can set the connection order for your Mac, so for example, if you wanted the Mac to connect to the 5 GHz network as a first choice, you would move the name of the 5 GHz to the top of the connection order list, then Click OK, then Apply to save the new settings.

One thing that you might want to note here.......and that is that 5 GHz signals are not as strong as 2.4 GHz signals, so 5 GHz really only works best when you have your Mac in the same room, or close proximity, or close to a line-of-sight situation with the Time Capsule.

Another way of saying the same thing is that connecting to 5 GHz does not necessarily insure that your Mac has the best quality connection.

Some users swear by using the option to assign a separate name to the 5 GHz network and some do not. If you decide to use Apple's default settings, which assign the same name to both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks, your Mac will automatically connect to what it thinks is the best quality signal.....which will not necessarily be the fastest signal, since the Mac in general prefers signal strength over signal speed.

Advice:Airport TimeCapsule,which one to connect 2.4 or 5Ghz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.