Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail encoding of text

hi

I have a problem with reading some letters using application Mail.

On my iphone the message which I had received has the correct coding, but when I use macbook with Yosemite in application Mail the coding of the letter is incorrect and I can't read it. The text language is russian.

I try to find preferences of encoding in application but didn't find anything about it.

I try to google the information about coding of incoming letters, but It also gave no result.

Did somebody have the same problem?

Thanks a lot in advance.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Mail application

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:00 AM

24 replies

Jul 20, 2015 4:05 AM in response to krylovdx

I have the same issue. Upgrading to El Capitan didn't solve the problem.

Bug requests in Feedback Assistant tool: for Yosemite #523042 (28 Feb 2015), for El Capitan Public Beta #966229 (20 Jul 2015)

And it's not a problem with sender's encoding.

There are the steps to reproduce the problem:

Environment:

Language&Region

Preferred Language

- English - Primary

- Russian

Region

- Russia - Russian

List sort order

- Russian

Keyboard

Text

- Correct spelling automatically = true

- Spelling = Automatic by Language

- Use smart quotes and dashes = true

Use case scenario:

1. Mail.app is running, 1 exchange account is active (exchange 2010 server)

2. Somebody sends an email in Russian using MS Outlook 2010 or 2013 that have a certain symbol in text that can be inserted in email’s text field in Outlook like this:

2.1 insert > symbol

2.2 type «space» button

2.3 Outlook autocorrection transforms the > symbol into the symbol that looks like the UNICODE sysmbol U+27A2 (usually people do so to show the quoted text)

3. Received email in Mail.app can’t be read because of bad encoding interpretation. All text looks like:

ŽąŽāŽÝŽåŽéŽÚŽÝŽāŽãŽî ŽáŽāŽÝŽåŽéŽÚŽäŽî ŽāŽäŽÓŽÖŽä ŽßŽŅ ŽáŽāŽâŽāŽã?

instead of

Получилось получить ответ на порос?

If this email is forwarded using Mail.app to somebody with Outlook 2010/2013 on Windows, received email on other side will have the same look as at Mail.app like this:

ŽąŽāŽÝŽåŽéŽÚŽÝŽāŽãŽî ŽáŽāŽÝŽåŽéŽÚŽäŽî ŽāŽäŽÓŽÖŽä ŽßŽŅ ŽáŽāŽâŽāŽã?

And YES, somehow encoding in RAW message switches from UTF-8 (default for Mail.app) or KOI8-R (default for Outlook in Windows) to Korean charset="ks_c_5601-1987".

It seems to me it's a bug in Mail.app when communicating with Outlook as Exchange client.

Jul 20, 2015 4:14 AM in response to 91koff

91koff wrote:

And YES, somehow encoding in RAW message switches from UTF-8 (default for Mail.app) or KOI8-R (default for Outlook in Windows) to Korean charset="ks_c_5601-1987".

When you use View > Message > Raw Source in Mail on the original incoming, does it already have the junk Korean encoding? If so, then it must be Exchange that is messing it up. Mail cannot change the raw source of an incoming message.

Mail encoding of text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.