Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NetInstalls/Restores Failing - Constant Kernel Panics

Hello all -

Before I begin, I admit to being a little over my skis and a bit of a rube when it comes to this stuff - I know just enough to royally screw stuff up. I've tried to do my due diligence in searching on the topic but haven't come up with anything that seems to work.

I'm trying to create images that I can deploy in a school setting with mavericks server. Specifically, trying to install simple images of 10.9.5 on some of our iMacs - yes I have the installer from the app store on the machine used to make the images. Making the images doesn't seem to be the problem. I can make them, get them into my netbootspo folder and all machines see them in the startup disk.

The problem occurs when trying to install the image. I generally get a continuous kernel panic. Usually immediately, sometimes a few minutes in. On occasion the install just "freezes."

Images are set to install via NFS.

I'm working on machines plugged in via ethernet

I've tried looking a the logs on a client - i don't really know what to look for though. I do see:

something about missing core services

[375:303] layoutstill needs update after calling -[NSSscrollViewLayout]

In the server log I only see:

BSDP offer sent

and

BSDP DISCOVER

The clients I'm working with are older (pre 2011 machines). There are students using the newer models and I don't want to affect any work/projects they're doing.

I can update machines via a bootable installer on a flash drive and bring them back to life - I'm just trying to make it a bit easier on myself (whats that about best-laid plans?) and utilize server to do it.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for your patience with me.

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 9:08 AM

8 replies

Apr 1, 2015 8:11 AM in response to LWWWestly

A kernel panic means something is seriously wrong. Missing core services would fit that bill...

What type of images are you building NetInstall? NetRestore? Did you use the installer directly, or install the OS to a volume?

What is the OS build of the installer? (You can get that by selecting it as a source in System Image Utility and advancing to the "naming" page. The pre-filled description should say something like 10.9.5 (13F34))

Apr 1, 2015 9:43 AM in response to LWWWestly

OK, that setup effectively eliminates about 90% of the possible issues you might be hitting.

One simple, and quick, test would simply be to create a new image... maybe something went haywire during the creation process.

Another question: This is just a basic NetInstall? No other options, packages, or workflow tweaks?

Based on what you've said so far, my thoughts are:

1) the clients you're trying to image somehow don't meet the specifications for Mavericks, or

2) It's a server side issue. You might try serving the image via HTTP, instead of NFS, and see if that helps.

3) Maybe try booting the clients in verbose mode (Cmd-v) and see where its freezing, or what the panic says.

Apr 1, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Brian Nesse

I've tried making new images a few times with no change in behavior on the client side...even made them from different machines to be sure with freshly downloaded installers.

Yes, this is a super basic net install with zero extra steps added by design. From the get go i wanted to simply get my feet wet with the process before I tried any fancy stuff.

On:

#1 - I'm able to run the same OS installer from a bootable flash drive and all is well. This was actually the motivation to start this project, so I didn't have to run around chasing flash drives (eventually) around my district.

#2 - has been a suspicion of mine, pinpointed what and where though....I'll try HTTP, along with..

#3 - Verbose mode. Thanks for that tip. I'll report back.

Again, thank you for your time.

NetInstalls/Restores Failing - Constant Kernel Panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.