Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini 2011 with Yosemite - stopped waking on lan from sleep.

Hi there,

got quite anoying issue with my Mac mini 2011.

Running as HTPC with XBMC.

Set automatic power saver to 20 minutes.

Before this weekend, everything was fine.

When computer was sleeping, I just use VNC or XBMC wake on lan function and Mini came back online.

Now, nothing. XBMC can not wake it on, VNC can not wake and even moving mouse can not wake it!!

Have to click mouse or press keyboard (which I am not using, so I have to connect it every time it slept now).

When I send a Wake On Lan packet, it looks like mini is waking up (LED stopped blink and started continuosely light).

But TV still have no signal. After about 5 second, mini fall back to sleep mode (blinking LED).

Any idea please? 😟

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 9:40 AM

7 replies

Mar 31, 2015 10:41 AM in response to lllaass

Nope, this was first I tried.

Lets make it clear, I made money by fixing up macs and iphones etc but focused on hw issues only.

Tried resets, tried tips from this discussion sleep wake problem with Yosemite on my Mac Mini Mid 2012

Tried also changing NetBIOS name which was also mentioned as caused tip.

Two days spent by reading discussions and it seems like yosemite connected bug.

Come on, whats wrong with you Apple?

Set energy saver to never - am I allowed to sent my energy bills to Apple?

Jul 17, 2015 8:27 AM in response to Tomas Vrabec

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1828?locale=en_US

I had received a update notice from Apple about my Mac Mini 2012's EFI firmware 1.8 yesterday.

After updating that EFI firmware, my DVI LCD monitor's sleep not wake problem solved.

Before I solved this problem, I had turned off my DVI LCD monitor's sleep setting in System Preference's Energy Saver for months.

Jul 29, 2015 4:27 AM in response to Tomas Vrabec

Same problem here with a Late 2012 Mac Mini with Yosemite 10.10.4

I send a WOL from a Raspberry Pi, the Mac Mini wakes up and the Raspberry can login through ssh and start doing its stuff, unluckily the Mac Mini falls back asleep after just a few seconds by its own before the Raspberry Pi has ended is batch process and in spite of the ssh connection being opened.

I tried a hack by sending an rsh command first with an osascript emulating a cursor key press to see if that makes difference, but it makes none.

Any solutions or workarounds are welcomed.

Jul 30, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Marzoa

Just in case someone else is interested, a workaround that may work in some cases is to forget about WOL and just sync the awake of the Mac Mini with the start of the batch process in the Raspberry Pi.

• So, into the Mac I went to System Preferences / Energy Saver / Schedule and set it to awake at 02:55 everyday.
  • Then, in the Raspberry Pi's crontab entry, I set the batch process to start at 03:00.

That five minute window is way more than needed with my SSD, actually, but I prefer to stay safe. Awaking this way there is no that problem of the Mac falling asleep after a few seconds that happens with the WOL approach.

The Raspberry Pi will send a shutdown command to the Mac through rsh after the process is done, and that works fine.

The disadvantage of this method is that is only useful if the event happens everyday at the same time, so you can just sync both systems. It has the advantage that the Mac Mini can be completely shut down before and after the process, instead of just sleeping as it had to be with WOL thru WiFi.

So for my particular needs this workaround turned out to be even better than the initial WOL based solution to some extent.

I hope someone else may find this useful.

Bests!

Mac mini 2011 with Yosemite - stopped waking on lan from sleep.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.