Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing the disk utility/recovery (Command + R) after bootcamping Windows 8.1 and removing the OS X partition?

Hello,

I've been wanting to install Windows 8.1 on my late 2013, 120GB Macbook Pro, but want to erase and free up the extra space the OS X partition is taking up as I have no use for it at this time. My question is, will I be able to access the OS X Disk Utility (Command + R), and re-install OS X in the future?

As of right now, I am able to access the Utility, and re-download and install OS X to create a clean installation. If I erase the OS X partition, will I still be able to access those features? Are those features built into the device similar to that of an advanced BIOS settings?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 8:42 AM

6 replies

Apr 2, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Loner T

I have successfully managed to install Windows 8.1 and removing OS X. Here are my steps:

1) Downloaded and installed latest version of OS X from the App Store to an External HDD.
2) Launched boot camp assistant from OS X, and installed Windows as normal through the assistant.

3) Once booted into windows, I installed the bootcamp drivers as required.

4) I tested the external HDD's version of OS X to make sure its bootable. (Plug in the External HDD, hold the option key while computer boots up. External HDD will become bootable.)

5) Once OS X boot was successful, I booted back into Windows.

6) I unplugged my External HDD and formatted the OS X internal partition using the Disk Manager.

7) I installed and downloaded Paragon Disk Manager to expand the current partition Windows is installed on. For some reason you cannot do this using the built in Windows Disk Manager and must use some sort of third party application.

8) Once partition was merged, I double checked to make sure I can successfully boot into Windows as well as the external OS X installation.

Hope this helped!

Accessing the disk utility/recovery (Command + R) after bootcamping Windows 8.1 and removing the OS X partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.