Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac book pro fans running on my 2015 laptop

my old and new lap top fans keep running and for no reason but they are killing my battery in like 20 min

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:04 AM

2 replies

Mar 31, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Eddie T

The fans are always running, but it they do so at high speeds, then you have a system problem that's killing the battery due to heat build-up.

Pre-Mavericks

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the Processes dropdown menu. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time (>=70,) then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

Mavericks and later

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the View menu. Click on the CPU tab in the toolbar. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time (>=70,) then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

Mar 31, 2015 11:31 AM in response to Eddie T

You may want to post the EtreCheck output

<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6174>

It is possible you have accidentally installed something like Geneio which will consume huge amounts of resources on your Mac, generating heat, and thus causing your fans to ramp up.

It could be another resource hog 3rd party addition. EtreCheck has been useful in the past at identifying some of these things.

And as Kappy says, using Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor can help identify processing running wild.

mac book pro fans running on my 2015 laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.