Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Seriously Slow Computer

Every time I do ANYTHING, you name it: lick a cell in excel, open a new program, close a program, try and access a file, literally ANYTHING, I get a spinning rainbow ball for minutes at a time. My emails load at about a 10-15 minute delay from the server. I am so frustrated, because this wait time is seriously disrupting my work flow. I just missed a conference call because my email invite didn't arrive on time to join the call, even though everyone else received it right when it was sent. I have have plenty of memory on my hard drive (I have 199.03 GB left on a 499.11 GB hard drive - that info took me 60 seconds to access, waiting for the ball). I am operating 10.9.5.

Please HELP!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:25 AM

2 replies

Mar 31, 2015 10:43 AM in response to Melinda Lyons

You might want to try and reset the SMC as described below:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

If you read the article it will tell you performance problems can result if the SMC data is corrupt.

If you think it's the hard drive, you might want to read or review sections of the following article:

Hard Drive Problems

That describes a lot of HD problems.

Based on your description I'd be inclined to guess it's the hard drive or the cable for the drive, but that's just a guess.

Help with Seriously Slow Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.