Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I hear Siri but nothing else.

iPhone 4S. IOS 8.2. Siri speaks through the speakers just fine, but none of the apps produce any sound through the speakers at the bottom of the phone. This goes for the YouTube app, Safari, and iHeartRadio. Headphone-output works.

I have tried all but one of the instructions I have found online. I have cleaned the docking port at the bottom and the earphone port at the top. I have reset the settings and restarted the phone. The toggle switch on the side is set to "on." I have squeezed the lower right corner of the case for more than thirty seconds. The ringer setting is set to nearly the maximum level. "Vibrate on ring" is off. The only online instruction I have not tried is to jailbreak the device.

We no longer use this device as the telephone, but it still works as a miniature iPad.

The fact that Siri works makes me suspect that there is some setting somewhere that I am missing.

Does anyone have any guesses here?

TIA

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:39 AM

1 reply

Apr 2, 2015 2:41 PM in response to R_55a

Hello Richard Gilpin,

After reviewing your post, it sounds as though your device is experiencing audio issues. I have located an article that can help with software issues. Have you attempted to restore the device to factory settings without restoring from a backup? Test the issue on a new installation, and make sure that it works. Then use the same article to restore from your backup to either verify it still works, or isolate the issue to the backup itself.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

BobbyD

I hear Siri but nothing else.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.