Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect Power Mac G4 to iMac via ethernet

I have a G4 Power Mac running OS 9.2.2 with 400MHZ, a whopping 40GB hard drive, with 320MB RAM. As well as an 27" iMAC running OSX Lion 10.7.5 with the 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, and 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory. The iMac is connected to the internet via a Netgear N600 WNDR3400v2 router.

I'm hoping I can connect the two MACs through my router in order to transfer some files from the Power Mac to the iMac, and am looking for step-by-step instructions to do so, if this is possible.

iMac, iOS 7.1.2, OS is 10.7.5

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 11:11 AM

7 replies

Apr 1, 2015 11:46 AM in response to BeavisORButthead

Apple have this for OS 9 file sharing…

Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9: File Sharing - Apple Support

See the notes on sharing from OS 9. If you can't see the computer in OS X when you try to connect use the IP address of the OS 9 Mac.

OS 9 file sharing will depend on what extensions you have active, it should work but if the OS has been changed a lot it can be tricky.

If you have a lot of files to transfer on one occasion I would use Target Disk Mode & a Firewire cable, you would probably need a FW 400 to 800 cable…

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

Apr 1, 2015 12:00 PM in response to Drew Reece

The OS 9 File Sharing - Apple Support document link you offered was what I was looking for, step-by-step instructions, however it did not work. I was interested in the "How to create a small network" link within that document, but it did not link to those instructions. Perhaps the link is nit supported anymore.

I have both my G4 and my iMac linked into my Netgear N600. The Netgear router LAN settings are setup so that the router can be used as a DHCP server.

When I select "connect to server" from the Go menu on the iMac and type in the computer name or owner name it fails to connect. When I browse to find a server, the only thing that shows up is a numeric name that connects me to my printer(?) because it contains a folder named "canon_memory"

When I select "chooser" from the apple menu of the G4 and select AppleShare, nothing shows up in the "Select a file Server" window. I then click on "Server IP Address" button and type in the IP address of my iMac, I get a reply that reads "No response from the server. Please try again"

Can you tell if I am missing any steps?

Apr 1, 2015 6:25 PM in response to BeavisORButthead

BeavisORButthead wrote:

The OS 9 File Sharing - Apple Support document link you offered was what I was looking for, step-by-step instructions, however it did not work. I was interested in the "How to create a small network" link within that document, but it did not link to those instructions. Perhaps the link is nit supported anymore.

I have both my G4 and my iMac linked into my Netgear N600. The Netgear router LAN settings are setup so that the router can be used as a DHCP server.

When I select "connect to server" from the Go menu on the iMac and type in the computer name or owner name it fails to connect. When I browse to find a server, the only thing that shows up is a numeric name that connects me to my printer(?) because it contains a folder named "canon_memory"

When I select "chooser" from the apple menu of the G4 and select AppleShare, nothing shows up in the "Select a file Server" window. I then click on "Server IP Address" button and type in the IP address of my iMac, I get a reply that reads "No response from the server. Please try again"

Can you tell if I am missing any steps?

I'm afraid I don't have any OS 9 & 10.7 systems that I can test on. I think it was tricky to get Apple file sharing to work on OS 9 at least via TCP/IP. Apple do not support OS 9 now, so I do wonder if the 10.7 AFP server will work well with it.

You may want to try the following for the connection server IP address

afp://[your-serrvers-ip-address]

or

afp://[your-servers-ip-address]:548

or just

[your-serrvers-ip-address]:548

Obviously you should check that file sharing works on another system to be sure that 10.7 is sharing correctly. I would also consider using a USB stick, firewire drive or Target disk mode until you can get it working.

Apr 2, 2015 1:04 AM in response to BeavisORButthead

Hi,

You may find the answer to why it does not work in the table mentioned in my reply under your previous topic Transfer Files from G4 to iMac. At least according to that table, the two operating systems are not compatible (as far as AFP is concerned), unless the modern OS has been modified (not something you want to do). FTP could be an alternative.

Jan

Apr 4, 2015 12:17 AM in response to BeavisORButthead

A long while back I had trouble with this and never figured it out going from 9 to 10.4 with file sharing. If you just have a few files to transfer, in a one time deal, then you can also turn on personal web sharing on the OS 9 machine, then view web pages on that machine from the other machine. if you can make a StuffIt archive file then you can download a large chunk at once from a simple web link. You would need to get StuffIt expander on the new machine.

theres always FW target mode, but not sure what ports you have on the iMac that can hook toy the FW port on the G4

Connect Power Mac G4 to iMac via ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.