Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 fell in water, worked very well after. But I soaked it in rice after as a precaution and now it won't even charge?

iPhone fell in the toilet and I was quick enough to grab it out and soon as I felt it leave my pocket. It was in there for maybe 5 seconds. I dried it off and checked the screen. Screen worked just as it should and I could even use it properly and send messages. I also checked the speakers and the sounded slightly muffled, but nothing a good dry couldn't fix. However, as a precaution because it was emerged in water I let it soak in rice for 6 hours. I came home expecting it to be good but now it's dead and won't charge at all. It was at 70% so no chance of it dying within 6 hours.

Apologize if this isn't the appropriate forum, it wouldn't given me many options.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:04 AM

7 replies

Mar 31, 2015 11:27 AM in response to ftpx3

The problem is that you turned it on right after it fell in. The first step is allow it to dry in rice for a remote chance that there it survived. I've never needed to try the rice trick yet but from what I understand, 6 hours isn't even near enough time. I've heard anything from 48 hours and even up to 7 days before you should even attempt to use the phone. Even though things may have worked sporadically, the damage is pretty well done and you need to be looking into a replacement.

Mar 31, 2015 11:31 AM in response to anypats

I didn't turn it on because it was on before it fell in and after I grabbed it out. I threw it in the rice right after, but it appeared to have no obvious damage prior to throwing it into the rice, but you're correct it's definitely damaged. BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! (More like colorful screen of death.) But thanks for all that answered.

iPhone 6 fell in water, worked very well after. But I soaked it in rice after as a precaution and now it won't even charge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.