Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Access Different Boot Modes

Hi,

I am having an occasional boot issue with my Mac Mini (late 2012) where it just sits at a white screen. I am trying to boot the Mac into diagnostic mode (hold d or cmd d at boot) or clear the pram (option cmd p r) but neither work. When I press option cmd p r it boots into recovery mode, as if I had only pressed cmd r. I have tried using a bluetooth keyboard and a wired one with no luck. Please help!

Thanks,

Alex

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 3:16 PM

While booted on the Recovery partition, use Disk Utility to repair your boot partition, then restart.

5 replies

Apr 2, 2015 3:16 PM in response to Lanny

Turns out the Firmware Password was stopping the Mac from being able to boot into different modes. After disabling it I have been able to run the hardware diagnostics (which found no problems) and also flash the pram. Thanks for the suggestion Lanny. I'll try that as well and see what happens. Unfortunately the freeze on boot happens quite rarely so it is a bit hard to troubleshoot and see if it is fixed...

Apr 3, 2015 3:45 PM in response to darkeale

OK, just had another failed boot so the issue isn't resolved. Basically the grey screen comes up after the boot sound but that is it, doesn't get as far as login screen. I've checked /var/log/system.log but the boot isn't even listed there so I'm guessing it didn't get far enough to start logging in that file. Are there any other logs I can check, or does anyone have any other ideas of what I can try?

Thanks,

Alex

Apr 7, 2015 7:53 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks, I'll try this today and report back. Is there any way to drop to a terminal (Linux style) or bring up verbose output once the boot process is underway? (i.e. when it sticks at the white screen change to verbose mode for more info?) Or is there a way to force the make to boot in a verbose non-gui way at every boot?

Can't Access Different Boot Modes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.