Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardware or Software Issue?

My phone seemed to think it was plugged into headphones when it wasn't, and when I tried to make a phonecall, I couldn't hear unless I put the call on speakerphone. I turned the phone on and off, and it still did the same. The phone was still charging and functioning as normal apart from this. So, I tried to restore the settings that allowed me to keep my files. Now, all I can get is the apple logo if i turn it on and off, but now that the phone has run out of charge I can't even charge it and no working charger will work with it. I can't even put it into recovery mode on iTunes. Anyone have any idea what is wrong? I'm stumped.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2, null

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 3:15 PM

Hello,

There's a chance that your receiver speaker (by your ear when held up to your face) is just bad. Apple can replace that component for like $30 so take it to an Apple Store for diagnosis.

However, I'm afraid you have liquid damage. 9 times out of 10 the sound issue means liquid contacted the dock connector and shorted out the connection or reached that component from the inside. Based upon your description of the failed recovery mode, it is even more likely that liquid damage has been making its way through your device's circuitry. It may even so be possible to perform a DFU restore to get it working again (though without sound still). Apple will attempt this for you.

If that works you can just use the headphones with mic that come with it, plugged into the jack, to make calls in the future. Or, Apple will offer to replace the whole device if liquid damage has occurred for around $129.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2015 3:15 PM in response to NB19

Hello,

There's a chance that your receiver speaker (by your ear when held up to your face) is just bad. Apple can replace that component for like $30 so take it to an Apple Store for diagnosis.

However, I'm afraid you have liquid damage. 9 times out of 10 the sound issue means liquid contacted the dock connector and shorted out the connection or reached that component from the inside. Based upon your description of the failed recovery mode, it is even more likely that liquid damage has been making its way through your device's circuitry. It may even so be possible to perform a DFU restore to get it working again (though without sound still). Apple will attempt this for you.

If that works you can just use the headphones with mic that come with it, plugged into the jack, to make calls in the future. Or, Apple will offer to replace the whole device if liquid damage has occurred for around $129.

Apr 4, 2015 3:21 PM in response to jaredfs

hello,

thank you for replying. The tech team on the chat seemed to think it wasn't water damage, but Ive heard from so many people that it probably is. I really hope it isnt, but we'll just have to see what happens when they receive my phone that I am sending in.

another thing as well is that my friend had water damage that didn't kick in for weeks... However my phone was in a splash of water on the counter and this all happened only when I went to reset my settings a few hours later (when my phone was working so well apart from the headphones thing), which is a bit odd. I wish I knew more about phones haha.

thank you for all of your help!

Hardware or Software Issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.