Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to add multiple borders to a single cell with one click or do I have to add one border at a time for example, one cell with borders on three sides?

I would like to know if there is a way to add multiple borders to a single cell or selection of cells in one click. At this time, if i want to add for example a top border and a bottom border to a single cell I have to do this in two steps: first select the top border, style, thickness, and color, and then next select the bottom border, style, thickness, and color. Is there a way to select the top and bottom border of a cell in one click? Clicking on the top border then holding down the command key while selecting the bottom border does not work, nor does holding down the option key, the control key, or the shift key work. Thanks for your help.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 11:21 AM

2 replies

Apr 8, 2015 9:20 AM in response to t quinn

Thank you for the suggestion but this did not work for my Mac. When a cell is selected for which I want borders, the entire cell is lit up. Then when I go to the border tool and select style, thickness, and color, the entire lit up cell takes on the border, that is the Outside Edges of the cell now have a border. So selecting the style, thickness, and color first doesn't work.

If I select the top border first (or any border), the drop down goes away and I can't select multiple borders - I get to choose one at a time. After selecting one border, style, thickness, and color, said border is now on the spreadsheet. Then I go back to the border selection and pick another border and the the previously selected style, thickness, and color reverts to null, so I start over with the new border style, thickness, and color. Yes, it is tedious.

The Fix would allow the user to select multiple borders, say left and right, before the drop down goes away after selecting only one border

Does it have something to do with Allow or Disallow border selection?

I have Numbers '09 version 2.1 (436)

Is there a way to add multiple borders to a single cell with one click or do I have to add one border at a time for example, one cell with borders on three sides?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.