Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime screen recording blurry in FCP X

I use both FCP 7 and FCP X but am making the permanent switch to FCP X. I recently made a video in FCP 7 with screen recordings from Quicktime. The quality looked perfect when I exported the finished video as an .mov. However, I tried using the same clips in FCP X and found that the clips look blurry/low quality in the playback window and also when exported as an .mov. I've played around with a few different export settings but none of them are resulting in a high resolution final product. How do I get high quality screen recordings from Quicktime into Final Cut Pro X? Should I be more scientific about the screen size/ratio than I needed to be in FCP 7? Am I doing something wrong when importing the clips?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 8:31 AM

Just to make sure: is it possible that are editing in proxy mode? Proxy is a quarter the resolution and lower quality, so it could explain what you are seeing.

14 replies

Mar 31, 2015 1:55 PM in response to mjhimmel

So your QT recording was H.264. You brought that into FCP 7 and edited natively – or transcoded? Then what codec did you export?

In general I would say that FCP 7 should be pretty cranky if you imported the native clip. In contrast FCP X, would be quite OK with it. FCP 7 would want a standard resolution; FCP X could work with just about any dimensions you gave it.

Russ

Apr 1, 2015 12:33 AM in response to mjhimmel

That causes 'muddy' pics:

User uploaded file

FCPX is basically meant for video = standards, e.g. 1080 or 720 ...

Screen-recordings, in 99% cases, are 'off'' those standard resolutions => 'un-even' scaling neccessary = loss of quality.

(plus, the harm added, to playback those files again in some 'uneven' scaling...)

best-practice:

Use designated tools, as the widly recommended Screenfflow ...

Plan B)

… for the small budget:

learn how to create FCPX with custom resolutions ...

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.1/?lang=en#ver4353c0d3

"… To enter an arbitrary frame size, choose Custom in the Format pop-up menu. …"

Apr 1, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

I see... very helpful... what export and import settings should I use with Screenflow? Would I get the same result recording my whole screen in Quicktime rather than selecting a custom size?

In Screenflow can I ultimately crop things out that I don't need - ie extra space on the side, the task bar, the internet browser bar at the top? I'm assuming I would need to resize to scale to prevent the same issue from happening, which might be difficult for this particular project.

Quicktime screen recording blurry in FCP X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.