Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My home page opens to Yahoo. The weather sidebar says my location is Richardson, Texas. But I live thousands of miles away from Texas. Has my computer been "captured" as some sort of robot-zombie?

Safari Problem--Location ID

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 4:33 PM

In the Yahoo weather sidebar, next to the location name, there appears to be an icon like an inverted teal teardrop. Click the teardrop and you should get a popup that will allow you to set your zip code (there may be two or three choices they come up with) and when entering, say, 95350, you would see Modesto in a list. Click the plus icon and your default should change to Modesto.

Or you could pack up and move to Richardson, but that would be kind of extreme.😁

BTW, Sham Field is showing 74° right now.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 4:33 PM in response to tedfrommodesto

In the Yahoo weather sidebar, next to the location name, there appears to be an icon like an inverted teal teardrop. Click the teardrop and you should get a popup that will allow you to set your zip code (there may be two or three choices they come up with) and when entering, say, 95350, you would see Modesto in a list. Click the plus icon and your default should change to Modesto.

Or you could pack up and move to Richardson, but that would be kind of extreme.😁

BTW, Sham Field is showing 74° right now.

Mar 31, 2015 5:02 PM in response to tedfrommodesto

You might want to delete the yahoo.com cookie data in the privacy pane of preferences and see if it now uses your IP address to pick your true location. That was how I got Yahoo to pick a location nearby after I tested Modesto. Yahoo is not using location services, so far as I can tell.

I am wondering if they just can't figure out your location based on your IP address.

My home page opens to Yahoo. The weather sidebar says my location is Richardson, Texas. But I live thousands of miles away from Texas. Has my computer been "captured" as some sort of robot-zombie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.