Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server 4.0.3 Opening a port

I am running OS X Server 4.0.3, and need to open a specific port for remote backup software. It appears that I *should* be able to do this now in server.app under the server | Access tab however when I add an entry to custom access and the port number that I want to open I still get a refused telnet connection to that port when I try to test it. I have also tried opening all services manually with the pf firewall on the command line, but I still have the same issue as it appears that the access pane gets first priority, and there doesn't appear to be a way to disable it and run without any sort of firewall. What's more, I even try some of the ports that the system has generated as open, and some of those don't work either when tested with telnet.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 12:19 PM

4 replies

Apr 3, 2015 3:44 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yes, the connection predictably gets refused. Telnet is a fairly common way to test ports from a remote machine. The port was open before upgrading the machine to 10.10.2 from 10.9.5, and the only thing that Apple changed is the way the firewall was handled, which would be the first place one would think to start. If it is truly not a firewall issue, and all ports were truly open then telnet would connect to the vast majority of them, and not have the same result as when only a few ports were open.

Server 4.0.3 Opening a port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.