Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I completely erase the iMac Hard Disk without the password?

I inherited an iMac running OS 10.9.5. I want to completely erase the Mac Hard Disk. I know the Administrator's name but not his password. He is deceased. I think I reset the password but don't know to inform the Keychain or accomplish the erasure. How is this done?

iMac G5 (17-inch), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 2:01 PM

Unless the iMac does not have a Recovery HD, you should be able to restart into Recovery Mode (Command+R) and use Disk Utility to erase the Macintosh HD. You don't need any password. Or are you saying the drive is encrypted (Filevault 2) and you need a userID/password to unlock/decrypt it?

If you want to reinstall OS X Mavericks, you may need your Apple ID/password assuming you downloaded it when it was available from the Mac App Store. Otherwise, depending on the model you might be able to use Internet Recovery (Command+Opton+R) to reinstall OS X Lion or above which ever the machine shipped with then upgrade from there. Or if it came with Snow Leopard or below you will need the install DVDs.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 2:01 PM in response to lawyerbk

Unless the iMac does not have a Recovery HD, you should be able to restart into Recovery Mode (Command+R) and use Disk Utility to erase the Macintosh HD. You don't need any password. Or are you saying the drive is encrypted (Filevault 2) and you need a userID/password to unlock/decrypt it?

If you want to reinstall OS X Mavericks, you may need your Apple ID/password assuming you downloaded it when it was available from the Mac App Store. Otherwise, depending on the model you might be able to use Internet Recovery (Command+Opton+R) to reinstall OS X Lion or above which ever the machine shipped with then upgrade from there. Or if it came with Snow Leopard or below you will need the install DVDs.

How can I completely erase the iMac Hard Disk without the password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.