Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

in Pages how to create stopping point for insertion of variable information? (Mac/OSX Yosemite)

Years ago, when I worked, (yes...Granny!) this used to be called a "Stop Code". I need to send same letter to many people. Want to avoid retyping the whole letter many times over and just insert variables in each letter.

MacBook Pro with OSX Yosemite 10.10.2

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 9:58 AM

Hi snailspace,

If you are looking for a "form letter" in Pages 5 (automatically insert variables from a database) here is the bad news. I don't know how to do it. And Numbers '09 (Numbers 4.3) wasn't much better.

If you are looking for Placeholder Text in Pages 5, do this.

Type a standard letter.

Select the text that you want as a variable and Menu > Format > Advanced > Define as Placeholder Text:

User uploaded file

When you click on the Placeholder, it will show as orange fill.

Repeat for each variable.

Here is an example letter.

User uploaded file

Menu > File > Save as Template

To create a new letter, open the Template (New from Template Chooser), click on a Placeholder and type the details.

Regards,

Ian.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2015 9:58 AM in response to snailspace1

Hi snailspace,

If you are looking for a "form letter" in Pages 5 (automatically insert variables from a database) here is the bad news. I don't know how to do it. And Numbers '09 (Numbers 4.3) wasn't much better.

If you are looking for Placeholder Text in Pages 5, do this.

Type a standard letter.

Select the text that you want as a variable and Menu > Format > Advanced > Define as Placeholder Text:

User uploaded file

When you click on the Placeholder, it will show as orange fill.

Repeat for each variable.

Here is an example letter.

User uploaded file

Menu > File > Save as Template

To create a new letter, open the Template (New from Template Chooser), click on a Placeholder and type the details.

Regards,

Ian.

Apr 1, 2015 3:22 PM in response to snailspace1

Mail Merge is easy in Pages '09.

Make a Group or select a bunch of VCards in Contacts and drag them onto the document in Pages '09, it then generates a document for everyone of your Contacts, in seconds.

You will have to make multiple copies of your documents to use the Placeholders and fill in every instance of every placeholder in everyone of those documents.

Peter

in Pages how to create stopping point for insertion of variable information? (Mac/OSX Yosemite)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.