Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 wifi won't connect, says password is incorrect though it is not

I updated my iPhone 5 to the new iOS 8... Before this it connected to the router's wifi connection, but then afterwards it repeats the message that the password is incorrect. I have typed the password correctly, reset the network, disabled airdrop with Airfried, rebooted, and restarted the router. The phone will connect for an hour after the router is reset, accept the password, but then drop the wifi connection and then say the password is incorrect. So, I know it can connect, but the connection is lost and I repeat the cycle of having to restart the router every few hours. I'd like to make a permenet fix to this problem. Please help

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 12:47 PM

6 replies

Mar 31, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Kutrd001

Yeah, sorry, I haven't heard of that one before. Reason why I asked was because I have had similar issues with connecting to netgears - dgn2200, dgnd3300 etc which my iPhone rejected.

Only things you hadn't mentioned doing in your post was resetting network settings on your iPhone. And tbh, if everything else is connecting happily to that network, it is most likely a software problem with your iPhone in which case, resetting your network settings on your phone or doing a full restore is the only advice i have 😟. (And I presume since you tried turning off airdrop, you tried turning off handoff too.)

Mar 31, 2015 2:40 PM in response to Kutrd001

For anyone coming late, the Verizon router is actually made by Actiontec, and has the same Actiontec model number. It's for the most part more reliable than most consumer routers, and problems with it are rare, but not unheard of.

The first step is to reboot the router. Turn it off for about 15 seconds.

If the issue persists go into the router settings and carefully check the MAC filtering. If it's on, turn it off and try again. There was a bug in the Actiontec, and I don't know if it was fixed. It allowed more MAC addresses in the whitelist than the router actually recognized. So if your whitelist had 12 WiFi addresses in it only the first 10 would actually work.

Iphone 5 wifi won't connect, says password is incorrect though it is not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.