Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Tighten the Space Between Table Rows?

I am trying to reproduce the resume I created in a different word processing application several years ago. I have created a table that lists all the work for a given employer with each row representing a different employer. I do want a little more space between text rows when I jump from one employer to the next (one row in the table to the next), but not as much as it is creating. Is there a way to tighten this?

I like the amount of space between lines within a row just as it is.

Martin

OS 10.9.5

Pages v. 5.2 (1860)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), FCP 7, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 12:26 PM

4 replies

Mar 31, 2015 5:16 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

That looks to be the idea, but adjusting the Text Inset is giving me inconsistent results from row to row. The first attached image shows the table (I've included grid lines here to help illustrate) with the default Text Inset of 4 for all cells.

User uploaded file

Note the consistent spacing before and after each row. Here is the same document with a Text Inset of 0 on all cells:

User uploaded file

Note the large gap between the first and second rows (OWN and Investigative etc.) and the extremely tight gap between the second row and third (Investigative etc. and CNBC). Then a big gap, a tight gap, two big gaps, a tight gap and a big in subsequent rows.

I keep looking to see if I have some sort of other inconsistent formatting going on, but I can't find one. All cells have the Text set (in the style tab) to "Align text to the top of a table cell."

Martin

Apr 1, 2015 10:18 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks for the help, Peter. It turns out, it wasn't Line Spacing, stray returns or spaces nor After Paragraph Spacing. But working through all those suggestions did help me find the problem. After reducing the Text Inset (Format panel>Text tab>Layout button) all the way down to 0.1, I then realized I just had to drag the resize on any fat row up to make the row smaller. Once everything was consistent, I adjusted Text Inset up to the desired spacing.

I think some injudicious copying and pasting inserted some undesired, hidden formatting. Your guidance ultimately did lead me to the solution.

Thanks,

Martin

How Can I Tighten the Space Between Table Rows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.